1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for Canuckistanis - Who does Canada root for in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize it's an odd question, but with franchise's of "your" own in MLB, NHL and the NBA - is there an NFL team that has a claim as Canada's team? Or do people normally root for those teams closest to the border like the Seahawks, Vikings, Lions and Bills. Just wonderin' who you lead with on Mondays.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Re: A question for Canuckistani's - Who does Canada root for in the NFL?

I think you would find that there are a lot of teams that transcend regional affiliation, Cowboy and Steeler fans everywhere.

I still foolishly cheer for the Vikes mainly because of the affinity I have for Minneapolis.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Bills are a favourite here in Southern Ontario because of the proximity and also because the team does quite a bit of promotion here. That was the case even before they started playing games in Toronto.

But I've always followed the Packers, to the extent that I even pay more than cursory attention these days to the NFL. It started long before Brett Favre ever showed up in Green Bay. It was probably for the same reason I started liking the Saskatchewan Roughriders.....the whole idea of the small-towners taking on the big boys of the world.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I knew there was something wrong with you.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, unlike perfect little you, apparently. Go drown in a vat of ketchup, douche.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't remember any Canadians asking what CFL teams Americans root for, after all the U.S.-based franchises died.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For me, this season, it's the B.C. Lions because that's where the Steelers found kick and punt returner Stephan Logan.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm a BC Lions fan. Went to a game there once.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

At my shop we just lead with the most interesting NFL story. But only if we have space. We put CFL first.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given how little he has done since the regular season started, they can have him back.

And Bob, that's because most Americans recognize the CFL for the low-level competition that it is. :)

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seahawks are my team and I live just outside of Vancouver. I would say the Hawks are the team that about half the people follow around here and then it's a hodge podge of teams. The NFL is huge here.
    The Steelers have quite a following here as well which means I must live around a bunch of douches like OOP,(apologies to OZ).

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He's been getting better in recent weeks, I still have faith he's going to bust a return or two this season.

And I always loved the B.C. Lions. Loved the color scheme, loved the fact they were out west -- just took to them right away. Though because of my love for Quebec, I root for the Montreal Alouettes, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted