1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about indentation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lester Bangs, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I am now in the teaching world and was questioned by another instructor today — she's a professor, I most certainly am not — about the fact that I teach my students not to indent their paragraphs. I've worked at a variety of places and in different genres — newspapers, magazines, Web — and have never been asked or told to indent grafs. That always has been the domain of presentation desk folks or producers.

She said she has always been told to indent.

Not really looking for a right v. wrong judgment here, but just kind of wondering if I am crazy and have worked at a run of places who all share this specific formatting quirk.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If they are students, just let them indent to keep them from getting confused with their other classes. Let them learn not to indent when their job (Ha!) calls for it.
  3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Without any kind of formal look, I do believe indenting paragraphs is the proper form in academia.
  4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Indent the paragraphs. Period.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most programs used in journalism (Quark, InCopy, etc.) indent the paragraphs automatically when you code them, don't they?
    No need to indent. Throwing a tab in there just makes the job more difficult.
  6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

No question, in academia, indents are appropriate.

But since we are told to teach to professional standards — haw haw — and to have them work as they would in a newsroom, I've never required the things. And, by the way, if we were teaching solely to standard academic requirements, we would go ahead and toss the stylebook, too, because the academics go into seizures over some of the things contained therein.
  7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so teach them to work off the clock, take unpaid furlough days every couple of months and file for unemployment?
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Snob professor: Did you know the New York Times is written on a seventh-grade level?
    Crusty Journalist: Yeah. It's so people can read the fuckin' thing, Mr. Wizard.
  9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

What Batman said. Indents should be there, whether automatic or manual (our system).
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would indent except when writing certain business letters.
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

0p8 for bodycopy, 0p6 for agate.

That help?
  12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I've always been taught to file without indents. Orrrrr... At my first shop I was taught that and nobody has complained since.
Draft saved Draft deleted