1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Apr 13, 2021.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Let's get this part out of the way first: I know I'm a technology dinosaur. Yes, about 20 years after the rest of society, I'm looking to write essays (about transportation/travel issues) and post them online, rather than in print.

For years I either did this for the newspaper I worked for, or printed out essays and mailed (yes, U.S. mail) them to friends, former coworkers, etc. I've been doing the latter, off and on, since I graduated from college in 1994.

I've crossed a bridge in my professional life and am finally deciding to put these things online. The question is where.

What's a good site for setting up a blog? How much of a fee (up front and/or monthly) are we talking about? Am I jumping aboard an online horse that's already on its last legs?

This luddite thanks anyone and everyone for their help on this question.

Liut likes this.
  2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I believe blogger.com is the simplest if all you want to do is publish essays. Something like Medium allows for subscriptions.

Liut likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

BLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/TheClassics]

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Wordpress.com

It allows you to build both a simple website or pay for more features. Even major companies use it as the framework to their websites. The design is straightforward. And the text editor will be similar to systems you've used in journalism.

Liut likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Wordpress

Liut likes this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wordpress is quite simple and works well. Also looks nice. If you upgrade to its premium level or whatever, it looks better and you get a spiffy URL.

Also, BLOGS!!!! and possibly Release the hounds!!!!

8. Wordpress and Blogger will each suit you for your needs.

Wordpress has cleaner layouts, but Blogger is easier to use. That said, both have clean designs and are user friendly.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+5 (or whatever) i.e. Wordpress. Even a neanderthal like myself managed to work his way through it.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looking at Wordpress, I realize I've read several blogs through that site. And that looks simple enough for what I'm trying to do.

Liut likes this.
  11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

12. JPsT

JPsT Member

Yeah, this is the move. Simple publishing interface and when you're done with each 'blog' it just fires it out to all the friends, former coworkers and randoms who found you to remind them to read. Or, they don't sign up for emails and it just lives as a blog.

Draft saved Draft deleted