1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a pulitzer for the national enquirer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AD, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I always wanted to ask Paul Anger if they were related and I never had the nerve.

2. In no way, shape or form have I defended The Times over the Enquirer on the two stories.

3. AD

AD Active Member

yup, waylon. my bad. apologies.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Perhaps we all should follow suit. Is it important how you break the news, or whether the news is accurate?

How many "ethical" journalists report lies and spin from sources? Give me truth over ethics any day .

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Journalistic ethics exist to protect the truth. The reason buying information is wrong is that it multiplies the possibility the information is bullshit by about 10 to the 12th power. That reporters write down spin and bullshit and regurgitate it doesn't mean the ethics are wrong, it means the reporters have no ethics and no skills either.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Bring that into it.

7. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I tried to read the story, but I got sidetracked by celebrities with too much cellulite in bikinis, which is such a constant staple of this honorable, informative news source.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Mike, I would never do it because of credibility issues and the fact no one would ever talk to you for free, it makes no sense in my opinion to pay for info. But my point was that sometimes you have to push the envelope a bit. TMZ and The Enquirer go where were we aren't comfortable going. Now, they have suspect credibility, but when they nail a story accurately -- and they are proven accurate -- don't knock how they acquired the info.

Their journalistic practices come at the price of credibility, which to me is something I am not willing to sacrifice. When they get a story no one else would get though they deserve credit. The Washington and political elitists sat on this story for months. This guy could have been president. Who was being a watchdog and who was being a lapdog? The Edwards' were a fraud, as we found out in Game Change, but where was that when he was on the campaign?

National Enquirer destroyed every single media outlet in the country on this. TMZ destroyed everyone else on Tiger Woods.

Let's not knock them when they are right and accurate.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ol' Howell -- and Bill Keller -- in the captain's
    chair will do that for you.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You shouldn't get a Pulitzer if you think you deserve one.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's a great example of the Enquirer at its best (or worst):

Not once in this whole story does it actually say that Oprah and/or Steadman are gay, but it doesn't say it in such an artful way that you think it's been said.

They should get a Pulitzer for managing to say absolutely nothing and making it sound like everything.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/oprah_winfrey_gay_lie_exposed_stedman_gayle_king_/celebrity/68044

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/business/media/19pulitzer.html

Draft saved Draft deleted