1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a pulitzer for the national enquirer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AD, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked at a paper where one of the scandals that was all over the national headlines involved a local person. It was huge at the time, on the cover of every magazine, talked about nightly on the national news and we had four reporters working on it full-time as did two other papers.

Every single significant story on this case was broken in the Enquirer. There were stories where they would beat the daily papers by a couple weeks and this was before places were posting stories online first. Our reporters actually had to subscribe to the Enquirer because that way they would get the issues a full day before the newsstand did.

They play by a different set of rules.

They broke the Tiger story too.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Frank, The magazine thing is a good point. Can't you argue it had impact in that it killed the political career of a guy with presidential aspirations? I'm assuming no one got a Pulitzer when they did a gotcha on Gary Hart, right? I'd argue that was a bigger deal. It's also usually weightier stories that get Pulitzers.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's a book excerpt. I have zero confidence in anything Halperin does. He's an attention whore. He went on one TV show saying the news media was too soft on McCain/Palin, then went on another and said he was disgusted by the liberal bias for Obama. Unless the book has 500 pages of footnotes and sworn affidavits, I consider it as accurate as a TV docu-drama.

4. AD

AD Active Member

i started the thread with a question mark because i want to hear the argument against. the enquirer's success on this story -- and tiger's -- is going to have a big impact on our insecure industry, i think, and recognition of that success -- and an inquiry into the methods behind it -- is the first step toward grappling with who we are, what we do, and the standards we will, or won't, hold ourselves to.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The need to get stuff online fast and the culling of copy editors has a lot bigger impact on who we are and what we do than this.

This is what the Enquirer does.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No Pulitzer for the Gary Hart story, wasn't even a finalist.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps in the new blind pig/acorn division?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I know when I go to bed at night, I pine for the day when the John Edwards scandal rises to the level of Pulitzer importance.

I eagerly await TMZ's Nobel Prize for breaking what Tiger Woods nicknames his penis. I'd go with The Octagon if it wasn't already taken.

10. AD

AD Active Member

the guy was a serious contender for the presidency. you can argue that's a higher profile than new york governor.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Was. They didn't break the story till well after he was toast.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Enquirer story buried him six feet under, and exposed him as a pathological liar.

He lost the presidential bid in 2008... he wasn't going to retire forever.

This story does have an effect on 2012, 2016, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted