1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A proofreading reader

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fossywriter8, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True story.....

Several years working at a small daily. One guy calls/writes about typos in the paper. Managing editor responds: "So, what are you doing in the evenings?" (Guy is a retired postal worker.) We hire him as a proofreader. Does a decent job, until....

One Saturday our regular paginator is out, I'm on news desk, doing like 13 pages live with an intern and our proofreader/new copy editor. Ugh!

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm guessing he got an understanding of "how these ridiculous errors can slip by your idiot copy editors!!!!"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between a proofreader and a copy editor, as I am sure it was demonstrated to deskslave.

Of course, I don't know if a proofreaders exists in the newspaper industry any more.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Because "forever hold your piece" would have a vastly different connotation ...

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Arriving late ...

Fossy: You were wrong. She was right. It doesn't matter what you found in the dictionary. On top of everything else, AP style is that when in doubt, use the shorter form of the word (this is more than that, but still). Let it go.

Rick: I actually understand what you're saying, and I've gotten a lot better at not focusing on tiny trees while the forest burns all around me. But I'm going to hold onto style consistency still being relatively important in our profession and not simply the hobgoblin of little minds.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The most interesting part of this thread was learning there are newspapers with enough budget room to offer desk jobs to schlubs off the street.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

We had a lady who did this for a while... it is absolutely maddening to get that paper back. In some cases, the person was dead on and I took the criticism in stride. When they make edits that are really nitpicky though or they make the snarky comments, then you wonder why they couldn't just get a life.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Way back when, there were typists to input stories and our proofreaders were pathetic. They caught misspellings, but not wrong usage, such as their, there.
    Our baseball writer wrote a story about a player who was upset about not getting any playing time. He wrote: Joe Blow was angry after spending most of the season sitting on the beach.
    That got into print.

Draft saved Draft deleted