1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A proofreading reader

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fossywriter8, Aug 27, 2010.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

exactly. you were wrong. the lady was right. you didn't even know "buss" meant "kiss" before but now it's your paper's style? please, it appears now that you're just making up rules because you don't want to admit that you were wrong on a very journalism 101 issue.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The Koran? Ha. If your paper follows NT Times style, then that's the bible.

Style should be treated like a divine manuscript. If you choose to follow and adhere to it, you can't follow it some of the time. If the paper made an exception, then it's an exception to style and it's worth telling the reader that. But, if there is no exception, you can't make one up.

Style Nazi here, I know.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

OK, but I wonder if your newspaper also hyphenates the word "to-day" and refers to certain fast-food delicacies as "hamburger sandwiches."

If it is, indeed, your paper's style to spell "buses" as "busses" -- and every writer and editor at the paper follows this exception to the AP Stylebook and uses the long-out-of-date spelling -- that's fine. A little odd, but fine. But the next time the plural of the word "bus" appears in your newspaper, it'd better have three S's.

Even so, the old lady was right ... or at least current with the times.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If the word was ihe paper's style, why look it up in the dictionary then? I go by the stylebook first and dictionary second.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Style Nazi here, I know.

People who really care about proper writing and words don't use offensive words like that.

[/quote]

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Style is overrated by lazy people who think that memorizing a bunch of rules is a shortcut to quality writing.

But in this case, OP is sticking with a poor but not completely incorrect choice out of obstinance.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Another reason to complain about an old lady.

I can't help but wonder if the (proof)reader had been a 27-year-old man if this would even be a topic.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Nonsense.

Quality writing has nothing to do with a stylebook. You can still write great stuff and observe the agreed-upon guidelines for grammar, spelling and usage.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I agree here. Style is important because it brings uniformity to writing. It makes for much cleaner copy. You can't have people spelling things in different ways at the same paper.

People who don't like style are lazy because they don't want to go to the book and look it up. Is it really that hard to file style guidelines?

And on calling myself a style nazi -- lighten up. It was said in jest.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ridiculous

very true. and i'd like to see the other times the o.p.'s paper has used "busses."

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Style has nothing to do with grammar, and it's at best tangential to spelling and usage. People can't tell the difference between style, grammar, spelling and usage are what get on my nerves.

Draft saved Draft deleted