1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A pretty amazing thing might happen tonight on Mars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It worked.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Drake Equation equation shows how small the time frame is. Not only is the time small for the SENDING party before it kills itself off; the time frame is equally small for the RECEIVING party before it kills itself off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You'd have to be a Chick-Fil-A connoisseur a fool to think we are the only intelligent beings living within the so-called "Goldilocks zone."

But given that as a species we've had approximately 1 half of 1 half of 1 second (or actually even far less) of relative intelligence on this planet in relation to the time since the Big Bang, it's not surprising that we haven't discovered any detectable traces of ET yet.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great photo taken from one Mars satellite of Curiosity nearing the end of her journey, with the help of a huge parachute.

[​IMG]

Anyone else notice the gigantic footprint my wife spotted?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Nah. I just see Elvis.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The Martian Paul Bunyan?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does Mars still need women?

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of monumental achievements in planetary science, tomorrow is the 35th anniversary of the launch of the Voyager 2 probe. Its less-accomplished brother, Voyager 1, was launched a few weeks later and is actually deeper into space right now.
    I remember being a huge geek for these things when I was a kid. Seeing the images from the Voyager 2 flybys of Uranus and Neptune was amazing.
    Now, what they're doing is even more amazing. Voyager 1 is in the outer fringes of the solar system. They expect it to enter interstellar space within the next few years, but they don't know where exactly interstellar space begins.
    It's incredible that these things are essentially 40-year-old technology and still going strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted