1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A premature declaration of the "free pass"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

http://sportsonmymind.com/2009/02/03/its-only-weed-why-michael-phelps-will-remain-unscathed/

Seems to me that several bloggers et al -- an example is linked above -- decreed a week ago that Phelps would get a "free pass" from the media and his sponsors. In some cases, these predictions were made in the immediate aftermath of the revelations -- i.e. before the story had a chance to play out. What has happened? After some sponsors expressed their support, at least one has withdrawn. The governing body of U.S. swimming has suspended him for three months. That’s far longer than the one week commonly meted out to first-time offenders in the NFL. The "walk" Phelps was supposed to get hasn't materialized.
    So that got me to thinking: Are there any other predictions of media reaction or inaction that proved to be premature and false in recent history?
    Or is this a situation in which Phelps would have indeed skated if bloggers, media, etc., had remained silent?

2. unlike nfl players, though, swimmers don't compete every week. the suspension will cost him a little over $5K and he'll still be eligible for the u.s. and world championships. this was hardly a crucifixion.

the loss of sponsorships hurts him far more. don't know what kellogg was thinking, though. those dry frosted flakes after a long night, i understand, are, well, delicious.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have never made a premature declaration. I just want to make it clear, that is not a problem to associate with me.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It probably had something to do with the Joe Arpaio wannabe sheriff in South Carolina threatening to arrest him and making a bigger issue of all this.

Draft saved Draft deleted