1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer for Van McKenzie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 25, 2007.

1. schadjoe

schadjoe New Member

An editor at Newsday told me if I ever had the chance to work for Van McKenzie, I should not pass it up - ever. But I didn't really understand the giant Van McKenzie was when I met him. On my interview for a prep writing position at the Orlando Sentinel, I was invited into the daily meeting. After some concepts for a Jacksonville Jaguars cover were laid out - including something Van suggested that I didn't really understand about "Cowtown" - he asked what we thought. I didn't even have the prep job - which would be my first full-time job - but I blurted, "I think that's a stupid idea, actually..." Van laughed and said, "I like this kid already." Van didn't mind throwing out crazy ideas and then being challenged by those who thought they would work or would never work. That was a good memory. That and when he made me stay with him at the bar at Juliet Macur's going away party drinking Boxcars. I didn't even know what a Boxcar was. But we stayed for a while. A long while. I had about six Boxcars, actually. I always got the feeling Van McKenzie knew what he was doing. And that whatever he was doing would involve a big idea. A big man with big ideas. And I am better for having known him. Thanks Van.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've had those! They taste great. This might sound sick, but we call it the abortion shot around here.

3. That does sound sick.
    But Van would've laughed.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not my cup of tea, so to speak, but now I got to get the bartender to make one first thing when I get to the bar in about an hour.

5. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I've been on this board and been a member for a long time, back to the previous incarnation, though my number of posts reflects that I should still be fetching everyone beers. I don't post much because there's a lot of scorched earth, so I try to pick my spots wisely.

That said, this is easily one of the best threads ever, and as I noted in an earlier post, I never knew Van, never met Van. But I'm getting to know a giant in our industry through this thread, and I'm enjoying it immensely -- alternating between laughing out loud or getting a lump in my throat.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

It's an online wake.
    We're paying our respects to a great man and telling stories on why he was so respected.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if there is another sports editor in this business who would command this kind of a tribute...

Hell, even ESPN.com has this on its front...

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, he and Vince were pretty close over the years, which might have been a factor. Not that it wasn't completely warranted, of course.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There will be, certainly from me, but hopefully not for a very, very long time.

10. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

I never had the chance to meet Mr. McKenzie, but just to see the people posting here on this thread, under their own names presumably ... it shows the power he had, as an inspirational person as well as an editor. RIP.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, all, I'm out for the evening, and will impose upon my regular barkeep to make me a Bloody Brain to start the evening. Great memories from everybody. Heck, I only knew him outside, but feel like I worked with him.

Night ...

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not many, Frank. Not many.

Draft saved Draft deleted