1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer for Van McKenzie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

RIP. He was an advocate for young talent in the business.

2. Once, in a state of mutual intoxication, Van looked at me and said, "You know, there are a lot of crazy people in this business, but you are fucking nuts."
    Better than a Pulitzer. Of course, I was toasted.
    RIP

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish there were more people in this business like Van.

Sadly, now there is one fewer...

RIP

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have meant the same if either of you had been sober.
    If Van liked you, you can't be all bad.

5. danhawks

danhawks Member

One thing some people may not know is that while Frank Deford was a big name, Van ran the editorial show at The National Sports Daily...he helped me a great deal on a paper I wrote in 2005. I'll post more as I have time, but this has inspired me to share it with everyone. You can view it here: http://thenationalsportsdaily.blogspot.com

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. As difficult as this is for those who knew him, I am saddened that so many like myself never got to know such a great individual. It's clear that he offered much to the world and, in particular, to our profession.

My thoughts go out to all who knew him, and I'm encouraged to know so much of him lives on in so many of you.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I had the honor of meeting and hanging out with Van at the APSE convention in Orlando in 2005 and last March at the judging.
    One of the nicest people I've ever met.
    I'll tell a quick story. We're hanging out at the bar at the Ritz Carlton and closing time is 1 a.m.
    A little while after, Van comes in, saying he can get a beer.
    Garry Howard says, "Van, even you can't get a beer now."
    Van replies, "Garry, I'll bet you $100 I can get a beer."
    Garry says, "You're on (or something to that effect).
    A few seconds later, Van's son walks through the lobby with a cooler full of beer.
    Van wouldn't take Garry's money.
    It was priceless.
    Last year at the judging, I took a pic of Van and Lynn together, I am looking at it right now, and hoping that Van is enjoying a beer and a joke.
    Van, I truly enjoyed every minute I spent with you. You were a lot of fun to hang out with and you leave a HUGE legacy in this business.
    Thank you.
    RIP.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wish there were more like him.

RIP.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Moddy, was Van a member here?

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

APSE meeting. Dozen or so of us go to the track. The horse track. Gorgeous day out.
    First race goes off, it is crappy race. Maidens, 6 1/2 furlongs -- something like that. But, the finish was incredible. Horse comes way off -- saying a lot in six furlongs -- to get into a photo at the finish. Everyone's pretty impressed, and because the two finishers were low odds, most of us had a ticket still alive.

Van didn't. "Aw, goddam it. When do they bring the fuckin' dogs out?"

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our business is lesser for his passing.

RIP, Van.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I recall when The National was first hiring, tossing around offers like they were winning lottery tickets, and folks were understandably conflicted about whether to make the jump....I can think of at least three different people who jumped, just for the chance to work with Van every day.

I hope someone remembers to print this thread and send it to his family.

May he rest in peace.

Draft saved Draft deleted