1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer for Van McKenzie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 25, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, buddy.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

What I wouldn't give to be in an environment like that. I wonder sometimes if those days are numbered in the single digits.

Signed, someone doing his part to keep this thread near the top.

3. Sandy McKenzie

Sandy McKenzie New Member

Toward the end, Van received many cards, letters, and emails from friends and family. He loved them, however, he was amazed at how many past and present coworkers actually told him that they loved him. He would cry and say "if one more person tells me they love me, I don't think my heart will be able to stand it". I told him he was a very lucky man to get to hear these wonderful things being said about and to him. As some of you know, he was my big gruff bear with a soft heart. Everything written here has made me so proud for him.....Thank you all from us both. Sandy McKenzie

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sandy,
    Thank you for the note and I think I can safely speak for the entire SportsJournalists.com community when I offer our condolences. Mr. McKenzie was the gold standard in our industry.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sandy,
    You should be proud. His contribution -- both personal and professional -- to three, probably four, generations of sports journalists was infinite.
    Pride is the perfect word. The word is often overused and cliche.
    But, if Van taught us anything, it was PRIDE. Have pride in our story, our page, our section, our paper and our profession.
    We -- many of us on this board -- are proud. We are proud to have worked with your husband. We are proud to have called him a friend.
    Be good. Stay strong.

6. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

This from Van's good friend and colleague D. Tom Patterson, who could not post directly:

Like so many of us who knew him closely, who spent those long days and long nights with him in a newsroom or in a bar or listening for what often seemed like eternity to his stories by phone, these are the saddest of times.
    I've read almost daily the postings regarding Van, all of them representative of his amazing accomplishments. Van could not only talk you into just about anything--and convince you it was absolutely true--but he could talk for days about his favorite Mexican restaurant chips. Finally, he would always conclude, "I guess my favorites still are the thin ones that come out warm." And that was that.
    I won't soon forget the night last March in Orlando when Van, Mark Leary and I went to dinner together to talk about real life battles. That remains haunting.
    I do believe Van is in a better place and his legacy is one to be long remembered through the many editors, managing editors and sports editors and great writers who learned a trade under him. Many newspapers today are run by businessmen instead of great editors. Sadly, another of the great ones is gone too soon.
    To Sandy, who has been at his side forever, and to his family, who has remained strong during a nightmare of years, and to friends like myself, who have struggled with this loss, this:

To laugh often and much
    To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children
    To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends
    To appreciate beauty
    To find the best in others
    To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived – this is to have succeeded.

So long, my friend.

7. moo99

moo99 New Member

I just read the Vanifesto for the first time. Wow! I'm really going to miss Van. My heart is sad for my sister and her boys. He was really loved.

Marsha Owen

8. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I think all of us can honestly say that it is absolutely stunning to see some of the people who have posted on this thread -- whether directly or by proxy. Sandy McKenzie taking time to pop in, create an ID and post a thank you, at such a difficult time? Unbelievable.

I never met your husband, Sandy, but he was clearly an inspiration to many, and the tales this thread has woven have inspired me. Hopefully, this "Irish Wake," as it has been termed, helps in consoling you and your family.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I think that shows you the impact of the man -- in and out of the office. He touched many people. And hopefully, he will touch many more through the years. As someone posted on another thread: What would Van do? His guidance and what he has left us should never be forgotten.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Once again, I just want to say this is the best thread in the almost five years this board has been around...

RIP Van...

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, mizzoo man. 8) 8) 8)

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm a media history fanatic and this is the greatest story I've ever read about the biz.

I never knew Van, but I know three people at the Sentinel -- two of whom have left the paper (one suddenly in the last couple of days) and one of whom posted earlier.

All spoke highly of a man who got IT. When people like this leave the biz or die, the survivors and readers are the worst for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted