1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer for Van McKenzie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 25, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If this is indeed the end, I hope it's as painless as possible.

2. boots

boots New Member

Van wasn't just old school. He knew this business. My prayers go out to him and his family. He touched many who scroll and troll these threads.

3. doctor x

doctor x Member

Terribly sorry to hear that. His son made a brief foray into photography at our little shop before going into law enforcement.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A true giant and gentleman.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

My favorite thing to do when I got to the racetrack is to find Ed Hinton and let him tell me stories. Any stories.

I don't know Van McKenzie and I fear I never will. But Ed had me convinced after 45 beautifully-spun minutes the Saturday before the Indy 500 that Van was the greatest sports editor that ever lived and damned-near the nicest person you could meet.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A few months ago, Dave Kindred posted here that I helped him put Van in touch with an old friend, which is true. But oddly, I never met Van, and I'm sorry that it appears I never will. Everything I've heard over the years has been good, including from people who were support staff, not journalists, which says a lot, I think.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Threads like this are heartbreaking, but they're plenty good, too. I don't know Van, but I hope that he gets whatever he wants out of the next little while.

8. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I had the privilege of working for Van, who could appear intimidating -- especially in the winters when he'd wear that full beard. But he is, in reality, a gentle giant. A more down-to-earth gentleman you will not find. And, man, he loved his job, which made it all that much easier for us to do ours.

And Dave was correct about Van's spirit being in the middle of the department even when he physically could not be. He was gone on his first day of a well-deserved vacation the day The National folded and, once the shock wore off about what had just happened, you could feel Van's pain in that room.

Kind of like we're all feeling these past few days.

9. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Van is one of the finest people I've ever known. I'll always love him and cherish the time I was able to spend with him these last few months. He has an incredible spirit and every time I'm around him, he never ceases to leave me with some nugget of wisdom I didn't expect. Van saw something in me that I didn't even see in myself, and I'll always be grateful. He stood by me during some difficult times and I feel blessed to know him because it's such a rarity in this business that you meet people that are genuine, true and honest. You always know where you stand with Van, and with most people, that just isn't the case.

Dave, kudos to you for beginning this thread. You are a great friend, Obi Wan. :)

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Old School in all the right ways, and anything but Old School in all the right ways at the same time. That's a unique talent. Never afraid to try an idea. I never got to work with him directly, but I observed his work with awe -- and more than a small degree of envy -- from across the newsroom and as a reader for several years. Peace, man.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Never met him but communicated with him plenty - both in real life and as Moderator1. I could tell in those communications that he was everything everyone has said about him. And I've never heard a bad word.
    Our business is much poorer without Van in it. I echo those who have offered prayers to his family. Dave, thank ou for the alert and the thread.

12. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

I've told this story a few times, so I don't mind telling it again:

Van is the reason I got into this business, though I didn't know it at the time. I grew up in Atlanta and started reading the Journal, as well as the Constitution, back when Van was the sports editor there. I devoured those sections everyday after school. His sections inspired me to become a journalist. I admire his vision, and his confidence.

One of my biggest thrills was meeting him while I was working in Florida.

I was fortunate enough to get to hang out with him a few times at APSE functions. I'll miss those times.

Prayers are with the McKenzie family, as well as the Sentinel.

Draft saved Draft deleted