1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer for Van McKenzie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 25, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm at my mother-in-law's house in North Port, FL. She subscribes to the Charlotte Sun, so I got the chance to see on Sunday morning the very column by Buddy Martin that I read Saturday evening on this thread.

After reading all of these great posts, I almost reported to Buddy's office today for some pro bono work. I can't imagine that anyone could read these stories, including that Maris tale, without resolving, at the end of each post, to a write an award-winning piece for the next day's edition.

2. one of the most inspiring things I've ever read

I never met Van but from now on he's my SE

3. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Write then Drink, you hit it dead-on. Yeah, I'll continue reporting to my bosses, but I'll be working with the Vanifesto firmly in mind.

This thread is unbelievable. And I keep coming back to the fact that I never once met Van nor any of his cohorts, so this is all new to me. Boy, did I miss out; but I'm enjoying it now, at least.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

5. eichenberger

eichenberger New Member

A story worth repeating.

When Mark Leary, the sports editor who recently died after a long bout with cancer, heard that Van was starting down that same road, he sent him a heartfelt letter of encouragement and support that Van told me meant a lot to him. When Mark had a relapse after an encouraging time of recovery, Van sent Mark's letter back to him, telling him it was time for him to take the same advice he had so graciously given him. And so began a support network between the two of them that continued until the end.

Mark's wife left me a phone message today, saying she had just learned of Van's death. She said she and her two boys were in Orlando last week at Disney World on a trip funded by Mark's old paper when she learned of Van's death. Knowing that I knew Van and the high regard I had for him, she was calling to see if I was doing OK. Imagine that.

They don't make better people than Van and Lynn and Mark Leary.

Please keep both families and their needs in your thoughts and prayers.

6. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Buddy Martin asked that I post this from him.....

Dave:

I could have guessed what was in 'The Vanifesto,' since Van and I shared many of the same thoughts and philosophies. But he absolutely nailed it this time and sold it with conviction. That is the difference between Van and others: He KNEW he was going to get the desired result.

What pleases me so much is the response of so many people who have been inspired by those words. This, to me, is the essence of leadership: Inspiring and challenging those around those around you to rise above themselves.

It sounds to me like those old school thoughts are still valid.

As you know, we are planning a special tribute to Van at the Poynter Sports Journalism Summit in April, which Van assisted Roy Peter Clark and myself in founding. More later.

Buddy
    Buddyshow@aol.com

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've posted this on the scholarship fund thread as well, but I hope those of us gathering for the SportsJournalists.com meetings later this year in Dallas and Vegas can do something to raise money for the fund. When I look at a 17-year-old Van McKenzie putting himself through a juco, I see myself to a degree, and I hope that we can help as many kids as possible.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Bill, welcome to the board, it's an honor to have you.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

This is the first thread I've continued to check every day since it started. What stories and anecdotes!

10. Somebody should make sure to invite the Vanophiles who've checked in for the first time to stick around.
    So I will.
    Stick around.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Very good point, F_B, one I'd been debating about mentioning myself.

We don't bite (probably because that's physically impossible on a message board).

12. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I wanted to work at the Orlando Sentinel largely because of Van McKenzie.

I didn't know him and wasn't really familiar with his career at the time, but
    I happened to be reading the Sentinel's sports pages while in Orlando to cover an event not long after he arrived there. All I could think as I looked over the pages was "wow, they're doing some really neat stuff." They thought big. The pages had spunk. The writing was crisp. The design was bold. Best of all, they weren't predictable. They had the kind of sports section I would have wanted to produce if I ever had the chance to be a sports editor.

I left Orlando that weekend with the Sentinel No. 1 on my list of places I would leave my job at the time to join.

As I later would learn, Van's personality was leaping off the pages of the Sentinel.

I was fortunate enough to join the Sentinel staff in 2003. Three years learning under Van was an experience I cherish and won't ever forget.

The best thing about Van's management style, to me, was the way he empowered his people to be bold. He dared you to think as big as he did, every day, in every way.

Tim Stephens
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Orlando Sentinel

Draft saved Draft deleted