1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a powerful message

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jan 30, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

john canzano: keyboard populist

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/117012932948470.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

this is where bold sportswriting can go

if, in fact, it is sportswriting
    it's kind of a hybrid - politics and sports

2. Good column.
    Far from unprecedented.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good read.

Tip your hotel maid. And your waitress.

4. Blog Is My Co-Pilot

Blog Is My Co-Pilot New Member

It took Sara to make you realize that???

It's a good read, and no doubt plays with the reader's emotions. . .

But it reeks of a sports writer having written it. Two dimensional to say the least.

The economic stratification in our country is troubling. . .great. Give me something else. Something needs to be done. What?

What about the fact that most players in the NBA belonged to that lower class before playing basketball?

Or that the very system that creates such inequality also creates the opportunity for a league like the NBA -- where players make millions of dollars a year simply to dribble and shoot a basketball -- to exist?

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

"it reeks of a sports writer having written it."

that's the most condescending comment on this board since rokski called sportswriters "little keyboard jockeys".

he was writing for a sports section - not Slate or The New Republic - that's why it's written the way it is. what a dumb fucking comment.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with "Blog is my Copilot." I'd be ashamed to admit in print that I'd just learned about this working underclass and now I have to tell my loyal readers something I bet they don't know either: News flash, we have poor people! It reads like it's written by someone who never reads more than the sports section. Another news flash: There are homeless people in Portland who use your column as their blanket and eat that half a burger you just threw out.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Here's the previous column:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1169785529205330.xml&coll=7

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oh come on. The DN from the get-go has been filled with stories about the common man getting screwed by the system. Outside the sports section, you'll see plenty of it, and then you have the good Gary Myers piece someone linked to on another thread. Only Gary didn't go Sociology 101 in telling it.

The thing that makes me chuckle about this column is that maybe not a lot of poor people read it, but some of them probably literally wiped their asses with it.

9. Blog Is My Co-Pilot

Blog Is My Co-Pilot New Member

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have taken Sara the janitor to open Molly Ivans' eyes to the American underclass.

Like I said, it was well written.

But in terms of substance? It was two dimensional. Not saying it was a bad column. But if it was a "powerful message," than so is every Hallmark card.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This column plays to the sensibilities of readers in a city like Portland much more than it would in . . . say, Dallas.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Good column, Canzano.

[ / fangirl ]

Draft saved Draft deleted