1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible solution to the "Eight Belles" problem in horse racing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, May 5, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I think there would be a fair amount of support for a move that would not permit 2-year-olds to race, but you're asking to stop a tradition that goes back . . . I don't know how far, 100 years? We also have too many tracks offering too many races; there's no need whatsoever for a horse of any age to have 20 starts in a year. Philadelphia Park races 12 months a year, doesn't it? (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) That's crazy.

In the UK, I believe all the racing is done on grass. I'd be curious as to what the injury/fatality rate is over there.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are some dirt/artifical courses in Britain, though they're outnumbered.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In the UK/Ireland, there is also much more jumps racing, which you rarely see in the U.S., so you have to take that into account.

As of right now, I believe there are five all-weather tracks Southwell, Lingfield, Wolverhampton, Kempton and Great Leighs, all for flat races. They tried all-weather for jump racing in the past, but it was a major failure as the surface didn't provide enough cushioning as the horses were landing after the jumps, and more horses came up lame than on turf.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I like the idea. It's not unlike pitch counts and discouraging curveballs for little league baseball players.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just to piggyback on that, this is so true. PETA has become self-defeating, because most people have an immediate negative reaction when they hear the name. Like Devil says, their methods are just so extreme.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I told an involved friend one day that PETA stood for People for Eating Tasting Animals and I seriously feared for my life for a while. Those people mean it and can't take a joke. And they are way over the top. WAY over the top.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Are you a tasting animal?

Oh wait, aren't we all.

Well, they can eat me too.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Can anyone point to any statistical evidence that horse racing deaths are actually increasing? I know we've had two highly visible occurrences recently with Barbaro and Eight Belles, and any horse that is injured or dies as a result of a race is a horrific experience to watch.

But, I'd be less interested to support major changes to a sport that has been around for virtually a century and a half based on a couple high profile incidents. If the overall trend is worse to a significant degree, then major structural change to the sport is warranted. But, if that's not the case, I don't know if these two incidents should lead to changing the basic fabric of the sport.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who keeps track of it?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There have been recent issues with the major California tracks -- most notably Del Mar --which prompted the state racing board to urge usage artificial surfaces.
    The fact that field sizes have shrunk in CA due to the economics of the local game has
    highlighted a bad situation.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I assume there must be some statistical records out there. This is a sport that can tell you not only where every horse finished in every race, but where they were at various intervals around the track. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to guess they can and do track on-track fatalities.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Jockey Club in New York, might.

Draft saved Draft deleted