1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible revamping of Secret Santa

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 15, 2008.

?

How would you like to see Secret Santa structured this year?

1. Keep Secret Santa just as it is

51.9%
  2. Keep Secret Santa, but lower the gift range to $10-15

15.4%
  3. Keep Secret Santa but eliminate international shipping

17.3%
  4. No Secret Santa this year, the economy stinks!

15.4%
  5. Other (please post suggestions)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nobody's bitching, slap. I never said anyone was bitching.

I put out feelers to see where everyone stands on this, with the cuts that have come this year.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I did Germany last year, and yes, it was a few bucks to ship.

But I think if you send thin, light things (which I did not) the shipping should not be bad.

Plus, it was pretty cool ending something to Germany.

I just don't want to have the same person twice.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think a cool Santa avatar would cool it a little.

People are away good when Santa is around.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I think it would be cool to get something from overseas as well. I like having things that I can say, "yeah, someone in ....... sent that to me."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't say you were, ijag. But I'm looking at some of the penny-ante comments on this board and I see bitching about shipping, people bitching about the bottom end of the limit as too high.
    And I'm stone-cold sober too.

Noble suggestion, but...
    I was displaced three-plus years ago when my paper closed. I still haven't had a fulltime job but have scratched out an existence since. I got four weeks severance and $200 a week unemployment to survive on.
    I can relate to those who have been downsized recently, but at the same time, there's a line and it's back there...

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

First of all, I am so confused about the whole cardigan thing. Way confused - or perhaps this crazy-nutty week is catching up with me.

I've taken part in the Secret Santa both years and enjoyed picking out gifts and sending a little bit of Minnesota to other parts of the country. And I always forget about the $20 suggested spending limit, even when I was out of work last winter.

I guess my suggestion would be those who don't think they can get a gift sent shouldn't participate. Wasn't there a problem with that the first year? I don't remember for certain.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last year, we all did something really nice for someone here none of us knew. A lot of of couldn't afford to give a lot but we gave. And we made someone's Christmas. (we think)
    It's not about 20 bucks for a Secret Santa; as St. Ignatius Loyola once said, "to give, and not count the cost."
    Leave it the way it is... And I'm with Rosie... I like giving from my part of the world, and I like receiving from other parts of our world. I still wear with pride my T-shirt from Lucy's in Missouri... love the looks I get when I wear a shirt from a testicle festival

8. imjustagirl

What about your "Virginia is for F***ers" shirt??

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shipping you would be cost-prohibitive.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm lost as well, but I'm guessing it has do with Uncle Buck, the campy, yet awesome John Candy movie.

11. imjustagirl

I just re-read this thread. I saw NO ONE saying the bottom end was too high. If anything, they said it was too low. And no one mentioned shipping but me.

I'm not sure where you're coming from.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am wearing it now, actually.. the peanuts have been long gone...

Draft saved Draft deleted