1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible revamping of Secret Santa

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 15, 2008.

?

How would you like to see Secret Santa structured this year?

1. Keep Secret Santa just as it is

51.9%
  2. Keep Secret Santa, but lower the gift range to $10-15

15.4%
  3. Keep Secret Santa but eliminate international shipping

17.3%
  4. No Secret Santa this year, the economy stinks!

15.4%
  5. Other (please post suggestions)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i don't know. but there are families who are really hurting that could use some help.

finding those people would be difficult, yes. maybe it's beyond the reach of the board. it was a random suggestion without specific thought put into it.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

wwdd, I think it's a great idea in theory. That's why I asked for a follow-up. However, as you pointed out, my concern would be finding people who would be willing to ask for help. Asking for handouts is a pride thing, and I don't know if it would work.

I will say this: I always get people who volunteer to buy two gifts if anyone else flakes out during Secret Santa. If anyone writes me and gives me some pretty solid reasoning, I could get one of those volunteers to possibly send a gift card that would help. Or maybe if enough people write me with that situation, we could get a secondary pool going with people giving $10 or so each, and we split that up.

I don't know...just thinking out loud here.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Secret Santa can't go the way of Soda Wars.....

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Partly because of the crap economy and partly because of where I am ATM, I voted for no Secret Santa this year.

5. same here. i wish i could be more helpful toward those who lost their jobs, and that's why i tossed this idea out on the thread. it probably wouldn't work in the context of secret santa, but maybe someone smarter/more connected than me can put forward an idea.

6. imjustagirl

I don't think a discussion of how you're doing ATM is appropriate for this thread.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If people are concerned about tough times (or even if they're not), how about everyone agreeing to do something simple, like burning a CD. Just a thought, to alleviate the pressure of shopping and spending.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah yeah. And I suppose you are going to tell us it's the thought that counts!

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IJAG, if there are 10 people that want to do it, I think it should still continue.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'd love to do it this year. $10-15 seems a little too low, though. What was it last year?

11. imjustagirl

The limit last year was $15-20.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

$20 works. I wouldn't mind if it was 25, but I guess it doesn't have to be exact.

Draft saved Draft deleted