1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Pokey Chatman story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by grumpyeditor, Apr 5, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Pokey was messing around with a player, it's merely a soap opera saga. The player is an adult and can do as she chooses. Sure, you can get into a person in a position of power perhaps taking advantage, but still.

However, you can certainly make an issue of Pokey, who resigned as coach, still receiving a $70K bonus for LSU reaching the Final Four. That is $70K in taxpayer money I would imagine, since it is Louisiana STATE University. Is it appropriate for a state employee who quit her job to receive bonuses which were earned after she quit?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well done.

And I heard the identical story regarding Pokey when I was at one of the women's regionals a couple of weeks ago.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, bullshit. Taking advantage of a subordinate is grounds for firing in just about any workplace in America. Taking advantage of a student in a student-teacher relationship, which is essentially what this would be if it's true, will get you shitcanned on any campus in America if it's found out.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

it could even be grounds for impeachment.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Unless you're an English professor.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

On second thought, maybe Close wouldn't be good casting for Berry:

[​IMG]

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, thanks for that piece on one dysfunctional human being.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I could not care less what Chatman's preferences are, but she absolutely should not be getting involved with a player on her team. Or an assistant coach, for that matter. Neither relationship is appropriate, particularly the one with the player.

At the very least,if she really did get involved with a player and and assistant at the same time, she is guilty of being really stupid.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This seems about right, in terms of your assessment.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There are lots of head coaches who have an assistant coach who is their husband or partner in the world of women's college coaching. That Pokey and Barry were a couple neither suprises me nor causes me pause in term of ethics.

If she was involved with a current player, she deserved to be fired. It's never an OK thing for a coach/professor to date a player/student.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This might be a "no shit" comment, but the number of those high-profile coaches who are lesbians is REALLY, REALLY high. It's used in recruiting both ways, and it can get really nasty. It's none of our business if someone is a lesbian, but if it involves a player, it most certainly is. And if it's used either way in recruiting, it most certainly is.

Someone is going to win an award with an amazing story on this stuff one day. Think SI's steroids in baseball.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It won't be the NY Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted