1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A PM paper in an AM world

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I worked at a PM, it was nice, coming in at 630am, put the paper to bed by 1030-11am, out to lunch at 1130am, come back for an hour or two, then hit the golf course.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My parents were pissed when the ATL Journal and Constitution merged into the morning paper we all know and love now, because they didn't have time before work to read the paper but loved to loll around with the evening paper after work.

They still do that with the AJC but they didn't appreciate not being asked by the paper how they'd feel about the change. They just woke up one day and the paper was on their doorstep with a note from the publisher.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You sure about that, Dan?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then you never have been to the Rockin' Q, my friend.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

First two stops were PM, the next an AM/PM (morning replates, not the gas station). Weird hours, split and otherwise, were much easier to digest when I was younger.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Grand Rapids is a PM, isn't it?

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not if the want to stay in texas

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing worse than a PM paper that works on an AM cycle, as was one paper I worked at...
    but I miss the days of reading my afternoon paper too..

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ. there's plenty you don't know, but you don't even know the state you live in? {/shakingheadfromsidetoside}

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In our corner of the state there are seven dailies, four of which are afternoon papers. I wouldn't work for an AM because no way in hell I'm perpetually working second shift while the world goes on with it's life.

I come in at 5:30 a.m. and we put out the day's edition. On days there is something to cover - two or three a week, I go back out in the evening. The other days, 11:30 a.m., and I'm done for the day.

11. bob

bob Member

Worked for a PM my whole adult life. I'm not a deskie, so hours aren't unusual. The only unusual thing for me is our one deadline night, Friday (we go AM on Saturdays and some holidays), when I have to get into an AM writing mode. That's when I write piece-o-crap stories because of the ludicrously early deadlines.
    On the other hand, because of the Internet and blogging, the lines between PM and AM are blurring. Despite working for a PM, I still have to get things out ASAP because of Cyberspace concerns.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Plus, the people kicked ass!

I still work at a PM, I did the AM thing and prefer the PM hours, it lends itself more to having a life. But we still write for Web and have all our Friday football games up online Saturday morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted