1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Place To Eat In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

But finding the local places and flavors makes it fun...
    I love Subways, but I only eat them at home.
    I know I'm not in the majority on this, but I try to do as many local places as possible.

2. boots

boots New Member

Let's see. By my count, I've gotten food poisoning six times tasting local eateries. And some of those place were nice restaurants.
    Now, I go for convience and am very careful when I look at the grub. I've never been sick from eating chain food.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Yikes...for some reason, though, I'd trust a local place over a chain like McD's.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i see the initial reasoning behind this thread is gone, but...

i like staying at the renaissance, and there's a great place on the corner right there called six penn. desert is awesome

http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So there you go:

Eat at McDonald's.

Don't look like a vic.

Words to live by when you're on the road.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Scoreboard.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Thoughts on Pittsburgh (after only one day spent there):

1) Regarding the food:
    Primanti Bros. was fantastic. Who'd have thunk it? Meat, fries and coleslaw between two slices of bread. Awesome. Paper cups for the drinks and wax paper for plates. No cutlery of any kind. Pay when the waitress literally drops it off. I had the Kolbassa and Cheese while the wife had the Steak and Cheese. Since she couldn't finish, I can say they were both good. Mine was better. I've had better tasting steak in a steak sandwich, but overall, this place is a staple for any visit I make.

2) PNC Park. My 14th MLB Park (and I've hit all the Grand Daddies - i.e. Tiger, Yankee and Dodger Stadium. Wrigley and Fenway, too). This is the second-best park I've visited, behind only Seattle's SafeCo Field. Great view; great sight lines; friendly ushers who wipe your seat; sold out for a last-place team; no fights despite a rowdy Cubs contingent; the waterfront was cool (wife is a water/boat enthusiast and loved it); the statues/monuments are better than the ones at Comerica Park; beer was $6, which is cheaper than Detroit ($8) and LA ($9); storefronts, restaurants, etc. Something for the traditionalist (Me) and the not-so-wanting-to-be-there (Wife).

3) My idea over "dressing up" is not wearing a hat. That said, I wore a hat and I was overdressed. I loved it. Even my wife said "Man, all people wear here are sports T-shirts and hats." Every storefront, no matter what they were selling, had Steelers gear for sale. It was amazing. I've never seen a town so behind their teams. That said, Mellon Arena looks like a dump, and a city that passionate (yes, I saw LOTS of Pens gear) deserves a new rink.

4) Andy Warhol Museum. A must. That dude was equal parts cool and weird. And is art is awesome. They had films playing (my wife didn't want to watch), displays, time capsules. It was great.

5) BRING A MAP! Christ what a confusing city. Street signs are too small and poorly located. For the record, how the hell do you get from McKnight Street to the 279 North!?

6) Just a generalization, but a damn cool city architecturally. I could have spent days walking around different parts of the city.

7) No cabs, you're right.

8) A great accent. Late at night, call the front desk wanting pizza. They suggest R & B Pizza. So I spend five minutes looking for Or and B, Ore and B and Oar and B in the phonebook.

Anyway, I think we're heading back next fall/summer for at least four days.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed the place Inky.

To address No. 5....I never thought of it that way, but that's from years of driving around. McKnight Road and 279 can definitely get a bit confusing. Drop me anywhere on either road and I could find my way, but I can't remember it well enough to explain it.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

In true Pittsburgh fashion, I can get you from McKnight Road to 279 North very easily, however I couldn't actually tell you the names of the streets.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed Primanti's, but can't for the life of me figure out what R & B Pizza is!?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Spot on review of the Burgh.

You are correct. It is the most confusing city to drive in, and the reason why Garmin sales should be through the roof in Western PA.

Another hidden gem by PNC is the Fort Pitt Museum if you are into the museum thing.

WQED, another Pittsburgh gem, has an amazing DVD collection if you want to do some real research into the city. A to Z is a personal favorite, but the others will give you a nice in depth look at what you could possibly see in your next visit.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I have a Garmin.
    It still didn't (until I bought an update disc) know where I live.
    And it getting me from McKnight to 279, it just stops and waits until I get on.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

didn't see this again until now, but you're right about the warhol. love, love, love that place. i try to stop every time i'm in pittsburgh. they change it up a bit and have cool special exhibits. but i'm a big warhol fan to begin with

Draft saved Draft deleted