1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Place To Eat In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

AMEN!

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Make the BBQ sauce with equal parts Heinz Ketchup and Diet Coke. You may think I'm nuts, but it tastes exactly like the BBQ I got when I was 10.

Now if I can just master Mrs. Smyda' no-bake cookie.

3. if you visit pitt's campus, there is a place called Uncle Sams that makes a very decent hoagie (and a pretty good cheesesteak). The O is very near by but unless you're drunk the food will not be too satisfying

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Best drunk college student food in Pittsburgh - Larry and Carol's pizza.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent call. The O, particularly the massive servings of fries, is more of a "Pittsburgh experience," but I always liked Uncle Sam's better.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

d'blasio's. family italian place, owned by cousin of former pitt coach foge fazio. on fridays/saturdays, the oso buco is a specialty to die for. 8) 8)

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't visit Pitt's campus. I covered a basketball game there a while back and the area is a crime scene waiting to happen.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The part where Uncle Sam's and the O are is fine, at least when the students are around. The area definitely changes when school is out.

Once you go up the hill around and past the arena, it does get a bit unsafe...especially at night.

Then again, I have spent so much time in that area, perhaps I am just too comfortable with it.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You and me both. Seems like it's been ages since I went back.

10. boots

boots New Member

Without a doubt Pittsburgh should be on my list of towns that you can get your ass kicked. However, it's not. I've never had a problem there and neither have my friends or acquaintances.
    If you walk around looking like a vic (that's short for victim) you'll become a vic.
    As for eateries, that old american staple McDonald's is always there to serve and late at night may be your best choice for a meal.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

You are kidding, right?
    How could you go anywhere and look for a chain to eat?
    You're cheating yourself!

12. boots

boots New Member

I treat myself and never cheat myself. I travel enough and know what I like. If I want to go to a local greasy spoon for a grub, I do. If I want to go to a chain, I do. I just try to make my travel as convient as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted