1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Place To Eat In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's like we are on the Chamber of Commerce. I was just in NYC last weekend, too.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Primanti's sounds about right for Pittsburgh eats. If you're in the Strip, make sure you hit Pennsylvania Macaroni and Sunseri's for provisions to take home. Also, Feinberg's if you want some off-the-wall Steelers sundries.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I second all of that.

Bring a cooler for the cheeses and meats.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

A steak salad at Big Jim's in the Run, no less. With ranch dressing and a cold beer.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Lots of good eating, drinking and shopping places over on the South Side, if you can make it over there. Avoid Station Square at all costs.

A ride on the Incline is always fun. Primanti's at 2 AM is really the way to go. Mineo's pizza in Squirrel Hill. And don't forget to get some Islay's chipped ham!

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you've ever had a good NY deli sandwich, or a well-executed Chicago Italian beef, you will soon realize Primanti's is one of the most overhyped culinary experiences of all time.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah...somebody else who understands the greasy, cheesy perfection that is Mineo's.

And Smasher, those are completely different things you are comparing. Though I'm not the best one to defend Primanti's. I never liked it.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Forest Hills Vincent's -- Vincent's Pizza Park. That's the original, the most unique and deadly pizza on the planet.
    Not the GreenTree Vincent's.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Absolutely.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Steelhead Grill in the Marriott, I agree with it being a good place.
    And the one near the Convention Center is the Pittsburgh Fish Market in the Westin.
    Great but expensive.

And a Pittsburgh hidden jewel...Sunday brunch at Station Square's Grand Concourse. Begins at 10AM, you can thank me later.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Shit! I'm a big brunch guy, but I have to be on the road before 10 a.m.!

Looks like a return trip is in order.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not at all. They're all the must-have signature sandwich of each city, like the Philly cheesesteak or Buffalo's Beef on Weck. How many people instantly responded here, "Pittsburgh?...Gotta have Primanti's" Once you have the Primanti's and get past the novelty of the fries and slaw being on the sandwich, you realize they've loaded the side orders on the sandwich to hide the fact there's practically no meat.

It's a novelty, not an especially good sandwich.

Draft saved Draft deleted