1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Place To Eat In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia

The sandwich is said to have its origins in the city's steel days when blue collar workers needed a hot meal mid-shift that would keep them full all day long. However, the workers had neither the time nor the utensils for such a meal. By combining the sides with the sandwich, a Pittsburgh staple was born. Of course, the restaurant offers a slightly humorous take on it, offering the explanation that the Primanti brothers simply forgot the plates and forks one day. According to the restaurant, Joe Primanti invented the sandwich during the Great Depression. His brothers, Dick and Stanley, later joined him along with John DePriter who was the cook. The Primantis opened their hole-in-the-wall restaurant on Smallman Street in the Strip District of Pittsburgh and served the late-night and early-morning workers who were unloading fish, fruits and vegetables.[2]

You have to get a steak salad when in the Burgh as well.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, the O is right in the middle of the Pitt campus. It is beneath the Litchfield Towers (dormitories) and at the opposite end of a very long block from the student union.

Be warned. The servings are large and the food will make you pay later. :)

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm sold on Primantis for lunch. Wow. Menu and prices look great.

4. 93Devil

Devote some time in walking around the Strip (Smallman Street shop). You are about to go to the most eclectic city in America.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Whoa, easy on the hyperbole. Pittsburgh is an underrated gem of a city, but it's don't oversell it.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Problem is, I don't have much time. It's more of a hit-and-run of a trip. Although, we'll be back for sure.

This one is short and sweet: Andy Warhol Museum, Primantis for lunch, some walking/shopping of the Strip District, the Cubs/Pirates game, late dinner.

Home the next day. Work calls.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's a great place for jazz and blues near the Tubes, and some more places down on Carson.
    At least there were, I haven't been there since college.

8. 93Devil

No, I stand by that statement. You never know what is coming around the corner.

Do yourself a favor when you visit, talk serious football with an old lady or a nine year old. The depth of football attention in the town is staggering.

When I visited with my wife (her first visit) she said she had never seen so many people wearing team stuff (hats, shirts, kids in onesies, etc...). I then reminded her it was only Wednesday.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you've never been to Primanti's, you've got to do that.

The seafood restaurant on the first floor of the Marriott is very good (or at least it was the last time I was there, a couple of years ago), and there's another good (but pricey) seafood restaurant (can't recall the name of it) down near the end of Smithfield, near the convention center.

Don't know where the nearest Vincent's Pizza is . . . to die for.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd put NYC way, way far ahead of the 'Burgh in the Most Eclectic City rankings.

11. 93Devil

But you expect NYC to be that way when you go there. Not Pittsburgh if you are an outsider.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok...how about saying it is a surprisingly eclectic city...or perhaps if you want to go there, the most surprisingly eclectic city in America.

I love Pittsburgh as much as anybody, but when it comes to eclectic, it's not even close to New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted