1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Place To Eat In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The wife and I are heading to Pittsburgh Saturday. We have tickets to the Cubs/Pirates game.

We're staying right downtown at the Marriott.

Any dining suggestions for before (lunch) or after (late dinner) the game? I'm jeans-and-t-shirt kinda guy, so nothing too fancy, please.

I've never been to Pittsburgh, so any help will be appreciated.
  2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Strip District

Permanti Bros. You can get that at the game, though.

Enrico Biscotti for back in the room.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are several places right around your hotel. You shouldn't have a problem.

Be warned, taxi service in Pittsburgh sucks, sucks, sucks. I've never been in a major city that has fewer cabs running at night than Pittsburgh.
  5. 93Devil

This something I do in most cities. I see a cop and ask them where I should eat.

They have never told me about a crappy place for lunch or dinner.
  6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

If you are not worried about utensils and you like good, old-fashioned grease spoons, check out "The O," - full name is The Original Hot Dog Shop. It looks like a dive located near the Pitt campus, but I'm a huge fan. The food is inexpensive, and the portions are ridiculous, if not exactly healthy.

Premanti Bros. is a must. Just don't ask for any alterations to your sandwiches. You order, and it comes as they make it. Thems the rules.
  7. 93Devil

And they will cut it half if you are a girl.

It sounds much funnier in a deep Pittsburgh accent.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You haven't been to Western Pa. unless you've been to Pechin's.
    And you haven't been to Pechin's unless you've eaten at the cafeteria.
    (Unfortunately, it burned last year.)
  9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

You've obviously never been to Pittsburgh if you're worried about dress code. A black Steelers jersey on black jeans (or sweats) is considered formal wear, but only if you remember to add the gold cross or Italian horn thingy on the outside.
  10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

You gotta to go the original one... great mural on the wall in regards Pittsburgh sports and pop culture history. It's pretty cool.

By the way, anyone know the true story behind the Permanti Bros. and Cleveland's Panini's? I know Permanti's is the original, but the sandwiches are identical and I've heard varying stories on why there was a split (sibling rivalry?).
  12. 93Devil

Kolbassi is rock solid.

Have the wife order something different than you. She won't be able to finish, and you cant clean up the rest.
Draft saved Draft deleted