1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Pirate fanboy venting...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So I am using baseball-reference's cool new page that lists all the players from a team's draft for a certain season.

What I found just makes me sick.

Nate McLouth
    Chris Duffy
    Tike Redman
    Rob Mackowiak
    Jermaine Allensworth
    Brad Eldred
    Jeff Keppinger
    Stephen Drew
    Chris Shelton
    Rajai Davis
    Jose Bautista
    Willie Harris

Those are the position player drafts picks the Pirates have made that have had more than a cup of coffee in the majors.

This list dates back to 1992.

1992!!!

Jason Kendell was the last decent "hitter" they drafted.

Over 15 years and this is the best of the hundreds of hitters drafted. I do not think there is one all-star appearance in this group.

Sick

You could not try and draft this bad. Seriously, you could not try to be this bad at drafting.

You have to get lucky, right? You have to half ass your way into a ball player every now and again, right?

- Thanks for listening to this vent.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You can't expect them to draft superstar pitchers and superstar hitters, you know.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Yankees have not had a hitter reach the majors from their draft picks since 2001 and of those the players are: John-Ford Griffin, Bronson Sardinha, Shelley Duncan and Andy Cannizaro.

Since 1992 the Yankees have had the following hitters make it:
    Nick Johnson
    Marcus Thames
    Mike Lowell
    Casey Blake
    Derek Jeter

So, in theory, the Pirates should have had more, but I think the draft is one giant crapshoot anyway.

5. 93Devil

No player on the Pirates' list would have even made it to the majors if they wore the pinstripes.

6. 93Devil

Plus the Pirates have had a cherry pick every year. Not like they are trading them away or buried at the bottom of the first round.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As Angola pointed out, the draft is a major crapshoot anyway, largely because of the high number of high school kids drafted on potential. Teams fare much better by scouting other teams' minor league systems to see kids compete against a better baseline standard.

A standout player in one county in one state might put up tremendous numbers, but not be nearly as good as a kid playing against better competition across the continent. But once they're into the minor-league fold, it establishes who their competition is and they can be evaluated better.

The draft is all about upside and signability. The minors is where the stars are made.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You got a problem with Rajai Davis?

9. 93Devil

Yeah. One decent guy, and the Bucs trade him for a $9 mil bum.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that perhaps it's time that you discover your penis.

11. 93Devil

Thanks for your input.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I don't understand why Pirate fans put themselves through this. It's a sham organization. There should be no woe-is-me badge of honor for following this club. At this point, you're nothing but a damn fool for putting up with the shit they deal out.

Draft saved Draft deleted