1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Personal Note That Boes Ill For Us All

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, gang, I just returned from my niece's wedding in my old home town of Wilmington, Del. It was a mega-society deal. Bride's father is a high-powered corporate attorney. Bride's mom was an heiress. Bill was always the smartest of the three brothers.
    Groom's family are longtime residents of the equally tony suburb of Bedford, N.Y. Groom, a really good old boy BTW, is successul (if engagemenr ring is any indicator) investment banker in San Francisco.
    Sorry for all the backstory, but it's necessary for my point. Returning late and somewhat champagned from the reception, my last act at the Hotel DuPont (oh, it's fancy) was to reserve copies of the local Gannett paper and the NYT to see Caroline's wedding notice.
    Wasn't in either paper. My wedding was in the frickin' Times. I can only conclude that the mother of the bride, who was chief of the German general staff in a previous life, didn't think that the Times was a validator of Eastern prep status anymore.
    This worries me. So does the amazing percentage of guests who felt that getting a decent buyout from a newspaper was a life-enhancing lucky break.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Uh yeah, but was it on the Internet?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm hearing wedding BLOGS!

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I wouldn't expect the local paper to have it live.

Does the Times carry live wedding announcements?

I don't read 'em. Doesn't leave time for agate.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bedford, huh? Was Martha there?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mike, am I to understand you're complaining that an otherwise very well off set of families didn't commit the pretentious act of letting the NY Times know that someone was getting married three hours away?

7. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

If I were the high-society type, I'd be terrified of ending up here.
    http://nytimesweddings.blogspot.com/

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

:)

9. espnguy

espnguy Member

Not trying to be critical here, but I do believe the word in the thread name is "bodes", not "boes." Sorry, it's the copy editor in me. ;D ;D ;D

As for the crux of Mike's post, I do believe the NYT -- as do a growing number of local rags -- now charges to have wedding announcements put into it, regardless of how toney or wealthy or high-powered the participants are. Maybe the bethrothed or their relatives simply forgot that ... or the check got lost in the mail. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D ;D ;D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

But her father is THE CORPORATE ATTORNEY!!!

11. JME

JME Member

The high-powered corporate attorney. The modifier 'high-powered' is an automatic prefix for a corporate attorney, for some reason. Seriously, have you ever heard anyone say, "Yeah, her father is a moderately powered corporate attorney?" Or even jus "He's a corporate attorney?'

I think not.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I thought this was a thread about speakers.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted