1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A perfect example of why U2's Bono is full of it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It would be quiet though on New Years day.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't disagree with anything you have typed. My only contention was the immediate way that others point and say "hypocrite!!!!!"

I'm not a fan of the photos, cover stories, etc. However, when a celebrity draws attention to something, others, like Gates, are able to get more out of their money because more people are contributing based purely on being informed.

Yes, poverty is poverty. So, Bono should probably look into his own land as well. I just can't drum up animosity for a guy creating a tax shelter.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Until the end of time, somewhere, somehow, there will always be a halftime show for Bono.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And that is just my point - all will be quiet on New Years day in Africa because Bono will be playing the OB.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In honor of your 11,000th post, Bono is sending you a new red iPod, tax free.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You just compared Ireland with the African nations Bono has focused on?

Holy god.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you are not smart enough to understand what I wrote, Pube, or to even read the entire post instead of trying to cherry pick one paragraph, please run along and polish your Hanley Ramirez statue.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

YOU are the one who equated it, and don't try spinning you didn't.

"Poverty is poverty."

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Bravo, I say.

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I can see some of both sides of this argument. But on the point of those who claim Bono and his mates are overrated (and yeah, I know all about the Henry Rollins thing), I'm not sure you can name five bands in the history of rock and roll that, 30 years after forming, still have their original members and are still churning out relevant, platinum music.

Overrated and underachieving should be synonymous, in this case. If U2 is underachieving, every slap-dick band that ever rose up for only a few years before fading should only wish to be so underachieving.

Not being able to tolerate someone (which is totally understandable) should not be confused with denying someone's -- or a band's -- ability, proven over an extremely long period of time. My sports rooting interests often lead me to hate Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, among others. But there's no denying the talent and ability. The same goes for dozens of musicians I don't give a damn about -- even Rollins' works, in some instances.

And again, I can see both sides of the Bono-as-world-savior issue, especially with regards to this tax issue. Obviously, I'm a big fan, but objectively speaking, this doesn't put them in a good light at all. As someone else suggested, the band should take a bunch of the tax savings and pour it into Irish charitable foundations. But as for the band and the product, overrated is way off base.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Having all the same people three decades later doesn't mean you're any good. It may mean you've destroyed what once was a great band. See Aerosmith.

Draft saved Draft deleted