1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A perfect example of why U2's Bono is full of it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Among developed nations, Ireland has the third highest poverty rate in the world. 24 percent of kids live in homes that are below the poverty line. Lately, Bono has been asking the Irish government to give more money toward debt relief in Africa, but at the same time, because of Ireland's tax rates, he and U2 decided to move the band's music publishing company to the Netherlands to reduce the tax burden on their royalties. They made about $110 million last year.

And by the way, Ireland's tax rates are about average, not even close to being the highest in the European Union.

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&refer=home&sid=aef6sR60oDgM

I'm all for being financially smart, and U2 has that right, but don't go around lecturing governments about how we can all do more to end poverty in the world when you won't even contribute you share. Where does Bono think the money comes from? Government money trees?

But by all means, let's put him on the cover of Newsweek and TIME, and talk about giving him the Nobel Prize.

And yes, I did get this off Slate.com.

http://www.slate.com/id/2152580/

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Now you're in for it. A lot of people around here get apoplectic when you comment on or question Bono about this.

3. Double Down

Good. Perhaps maybe we can also discuss why they're the most over-rated band of the last 20 years.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey D_B, welcome to early October...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32554/

5. Stay and pay a 42% tax or move the "business" and pay substantially less. Considering that Bono says 90% of the revenue comes from outside Ireland - what's the big deal?

Think about it - why should the Irish government get almost half the royalties? Even the Catholic church doesn't ask for more than 10%

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because the Irish gov't could use it for social programs and African debt relief.

7. If it was going for beer - then that would be one thing.

BTW - Question: What do you call a pretty girl in Ireland?

A: Tourist

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only if Boom posted it. Then the whole sj effete liberal elite comes to Bono's defense as they did when Boom posted story 3 weeks ago.

Thread is gone now - too bad as it would be fun to pull up some of the convoluted arguments that the likes of Pastor made justifying why it was ok for bono not to pay taxes.

Here is a fine example of the fallout:

9. Double Down

Boom, I'm a snoty liberal and I often think you're somewhat of a knucklehead, but I agree with you on this one.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The last time I dared to question Bono, I think pube started responding harshly.

My feeling is still the same: He can do what he pleases with his millions, including moving out of Ireland. Then he can STFU. Even his band members roll their eyes sometimes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its a beautiful day.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ahhhh..... the small minds are at it again.

Let me know when you donate one millionth of either a) the time or b) the money he has helping those he doesn't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted