1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A paradox of these strange times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 7, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Story on E&P about editors leaving the business for academia:

Of course, here's the rub: A lot of this exodus is going to be because of the state the business is in -- and yet, those new professors are going to be instructing kids with the idea of getting them INTO this crazy business.

I know, the new people in the industry will be ready for all the multi-platform work. Still, just strikes me as a bit (intentionally misused) ironic.

Not too profound, just a thought.
  2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Funny, SF. Same thought came to me a couple days ago.

My best friend from college recently made the jump from a metro to an academic job at a major university in the northeast. I believe he's focusing on digital reporting, etc., so at least he's on the cutting edge of things.

I'm curious how J schools have changed their curricula in recent years ... many of the guiding principles should remain the same regardless of technology. But I certainly hope they're trying to stay somewhat relevant.
  3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It amazes me that these folk, with a straight face, can coax these young people to get on the train in a time of turmoil.

Isn't it like selling snake oil?
  4. My career goal was to do this job for a bunch of years and then teach ... I've recently given up on that dream. I mean, what's the point? Now I'm trying to find something else to do in my later years ..
  5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ostensibly, there should be an re-expansion... like a bellows.... when internet fully takes hold.

That is, unless, these unedited blogs galore DON'T get someone sued and some morons decide that we editors are superfluous.

Then, we'd be fucked.
  6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it. It's like I told my sister, who is concerned about her love of journalism (high school classes and paper) -- there will always be jobs, especially for cheap young talent, it's just a question of how much shit you want to put up with and for how long.
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What kind of a douchebox would leave a newspaper to work at a university?

Anyone know of any of those around here? :D
  8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Simon, I really, really hope you're right. But the continued bad news ... oy.
  9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

maybe, but it's also about having a stable job. while the lofty goal of inspiring the next generation may be part of what drives these folks into teaching, you can be sure job security is the paramount reason.

besides, just because you go to j-school doesn't mean you have to be a newspaper reporter.
  10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Lifestyle, too. If you've been humping it for newspapers for 20 or 30 years, especially as a ladder-climbing editor, academia would probably seem like a sweet gig. Time to read, think, travel, write freelance pieces, without the endless pressures of trying to keep a big paper afloat.
    I just sort of wonder what all these journalism students of today think they'll be doing in 10 years (I know, I know, taking my job... but that's just one).
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wellllll *** as one of those editors ***** I've thought about this a lot. I spoke to a group of 10 eager kids yesterday in town to cover the CAA tournament. Radio hopefuls, print hopefuls, the whole gamut. I gave it to them straight, I think. Know what you are getting into, have a backup plan in place and all that. But if it means a lot to you and it is what you want to do, pursue it like hell.
    My main teaching duties will be in a sports administration program, helping them understand and deal with demands of the media. Perhaps that will be simple: There is no more. Kidding.

Teaching straight journalism - be it the written or broadcast side - must indeed be interesting these days.
Draft saved Draft deleted