1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A nice story for the folks at SJ.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All: Like any family, we have a lot of turmoil and angst here, but good things happen too, and I think this is one that has to be shared.

We've known "Simon" since he was 15, so he kind of started out as some kind of SportsJournalists.com mascot/little brother. He was always respectful and deferential where appropriate, and he also always made it clear he was headed into this business. He went through school with that in mind, and he indeed wound up where he was aiming, starting at a small newspaper after he graduated.

Well, today I'm happy to announce that he has moved on in that evolution. My company has hired Simon for a position, and he will start here in February.

He won't be working for me, but he'll be working directly with me on some things -- call it a dotted line. And there's no doubt one factor in his getting this job was SportsJournalists.com.

All the vets here should be proud of him. We've watched him grow into this, and presumably, there's a lot more to come.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Great news on so many levels! Congratulations, Simon.

Thanks for sharing that, SF.
  3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Simon! That's a great story.
  4. doodah

doodah Guest

You hired somebody because of how he posts on a message board?
  5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's right, doodah! Very astute of you. You should post a lot, and then someday somebody will read your message board posts and hire you! That's exactly how the system works!
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It means you have no hope.

Congrats to Simon, and to SF.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That IS a feel-good story. Simon is one good guy, and I think you all made one great hire.

doodah: The thing is, you get a decent feel for people through interaction with them here. Then you might get together for some stringing projects and the like, or look over their work. It all builds up into the type of thing that happened here.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He wouldn't want to work for your unethical anonymous-source-using ass anyway.
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I moved from a 12K paper to what was a 190K paper based at least in part on relationships I had built on this site. Not because my posts were weighty (obviously) but because I got to know people, and when an opening came up, I was asked to apply. So it didn't get me the job, but it sure got my name known by some people at that paper.
  10. jr/shotglass

It might do us well to calmly explain to doodah why this DID work, like IJAG did, rather than smother him with snark.
  11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But it's funnier the other way.
  12. jr/shotglass

Hey, that's why you're a moderator. ::)
Draft saved Draft deleted