1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A 'new way' for sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All: This might start a discussion. There are bits and pieces of things we've talked about before. This is about a guy in England who began covering a soccer (football) team online after losing his newspaper job and expanded that into a network of soccer writers.

He posits that all of this could happen in segments of covering sports here, but with a lot of changes in how beat writers do their jobs with regard to travel and such, among other things.

Anyway, some might find it interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2009/06/laid-off-sportswriters-find-new-life-online154.html

2. Umm, I've already done that. To a point.

3. Late to the game, here, but isn't what he describes basically just the AP?

4. Dave Caldwell

Dave Caldwell New Member

I've heard that several renowned racing writers have teamed up to put out a well-done website on motorsports. I don't know the name of it, but perhaps someone can post a link. I've heard the site is gaining traction, no pun intended.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

www.racintoday.com

It's a good site.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, not really...these are independent "contractors" collaborating on a website. AP has its own writers that it pays, plus contributions from its members. It's not that they're completely unalike, but it's not really the same, either.

7. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

cool idea -- so how do these folks make money doing this?

8. seravaf

seravaf New Member

See, it sounds like a good idea at first.

But then you realize that the quality of the rest of the writers is shit. And you end up with something like BleacherReport.

It works for the guy running the site and taking in all of the advertising profits, but it puts writers in the same predicament as in print -- the money isn't trickling down properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted