1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New "Wal-Mart is Evil" thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2006.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm making the point that just because the marketplace has created a situation does not mean that the situation in question is desirable or just.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There have been numerous polls that the majority of Wal-Mart shoppers are Bush voters, even given the populist image it so struggles to project.

3. writing irish

They're working-class Bush voters.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what your point is. It wasn't a free marketplace that brought us the institution of slavery. That should be obvious to you. Slaves didn't voluntarily work as slaves, and they obviously made the cost of labor cheaper (since they had to work for free) than the marketplace would have dictated if there was a free and open market.

So I assumed that by making the parallel you were saying we have an institution, such as slavery, that is interfering with the labor market's ability to price jobs at Wal-Mart freely. That was why I asked.

What exactly is the factor that's anywhere near the factor slavery was on the labor market, that is pricing jobs at Wal-Mart artificially low?

5. Herbert Anchovy

They're the dross of the earth.

6. writing irish

Oh good Lord, Ragu, I can tell by your rhetoric you're a pure libertarian. I am so sorry I ever participated in this conversation. I generally know better than to argue with Adam Smith/Ayn Rand-type thinkers. I've always found them to be like Marxists, fundamentalist Christians or anyone else who thinks they have an airtight philosophy that can't be touched. Discussions with them lead nowhere.

Look, before we could even begin to discuss this rationally, we'd have to define our terms...hash out a definition of "free market," for one thing. I don't have time for that. If I fart around on this message board any longer I'll be late for a dinner date. To answer your question, no, I don't think there's an economic factor that keeps wages at Wal Mart or similar businesses artificially low. I think the wages are exactly where the "invisible hand" wants them to be.

I'm off the board for the evening after this post, so I won't be replying to anything else. But I implore anyone who cites capitalist economic theory like it's holy scripture to please use some more common sense. Theory is often destructive unless it's tempered with wisdom...and compassion.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Been saying that since libertarianism (Little L) became the intellectual fence-siting pussy copout it did ca. 1991.

You chose ... wisely.

8. The Big Ragu

1) Yes, I am a libertarian. 2) I'm not the one who just resorted to, "my thinking is airtight, so it's unchallengeable." By all means, challenge me. I am a reasonable person and I'm easily swayed by reasonable things. So please, come back with something less arbitrary than "use some common sense." I promise I'll listen.

But if all you offer is, "use some more common sense," well, honestly, your common sense is not universal and it's kind of arbitrary. Your ideas about "wisdom" and "compassion" certainly are arbitrary.

And arbitrariness in matters of life, liberty and property creates problems, it doesn't solve them. At it's worst, it's how we end up with institutions such as slavery, to use your example. At it's best, we get well-meaning people trying to do well-meaning things... and creating huge unanticipated consequences that leave us worse off in the aggregate.

We live in a world of scarce resources. And no matter how we allocate things, someone's ideas about "wisdom" and "compassion" are not going to be met. If we let a free and open marketplace determine something's value, essentially we are letting everyone weigh in and valuing it accordingly. Honestly, that's what actually does sound like common sense to me.

But feel free to show me the error in my thinking that, if there is one.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Wal-Mart's largest problem is its hypocritical politics. They have taken the stand against union wages, even going so far as to close a store because of it. They prevent employees from becoming full time, relieving them from duty to prevent this. Then you have the rather low wages that are arguably poverty level.

No full time workers means no benefits. No unions means no collective bargaining for "fair" wages and benefits. Low wages creates a need for more income resulting in a second job for many employees.

All of these measures place the burden of the employees' health upon society. The healthcare cost of the employees now becomes a matter of the state. The low wages forcing individuals to work extra jobs leaves their children without the proper parental figure longer. The low wages could, and has in some cases, force individuals to seek welfare.

Wal-Mart is essentially feeding upon the government to assist its employees. So, while it is bad enough that others are forced to carry the burden, Wal-Mart has spent an inordinate amount of money funding the Republican Party.

Donating to Republicans isn't evil. It is that Republicans do not support the measures that Wal-Mart requires to keep its employees healthy and out of poverty.

It would be one thing if the company was at least honest about relying on the government to fund the programs that the largest American employer refuses to odo, instead they choose to screw them further by financially supporting the elections of those looking to cut those very programs!

10. The Big Ragu

"Collective bargaining" isn't a cure-all that creates money from thin air. And no one forces anyone to work at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is actually union-proof all on its own. This should be common sense to anyone. In order to collective bargain effectively, you need leverage. In other words, you need to have something to bargain with--you have to offer skills that are not easily replaceable, and have all of the workers organized enough to create leverage from the fact that they can't be easily replaced.

It's why major league baseball players can collectively bargain very effectively--if the players walk out, the replacement players aren't as good. It's why highly skilled jobs can effectively collective bargain. They may be replaceable, but replacing them is costly.

It's also why low-skilled workers, like the guy working the register at Wal-Mart, have no collective bargaining power. That guy is very easily replaced by some other guy who is just happy to have the job.

This has been borne out by the fact that in most places a Wal-Mart opens, the pool of applicants is much greater than the number of jobs. That would suggest that the wages are "fair," in the sense that Wal-Mart is paying just enough to attract a good pool of qualified applicants, and there is a pool of people willing to work for what Wal-Mart is offering.

When you say that unionization would mean Wal-Mart workers could collectively bargaining for "fair" wages and benefits, I assume you are saying that "fair" means a wage that is higher than what the market is dictating, and "unionization" means some sort of iron fist that dictates Wal-Mart having to pay more than what the market bears for labor. Because a pool of largely unskilled high school graduates is never going to be able to collectively bargain well on the merits of what they have to bargain with.

I'm also not sure how "fair" it is, if you somehow dictate your "fair" wage and cause the end result that is inevitable--you kill jobs.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What about people who cannot afford to practice such noble consumerism?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Giddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up from Mexico City.

Draft saved Draft deleted