1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New "Wal-Mart is Evil" thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Snobbery has nothing to do with it.

I'd rather to to Tim Horton's than Starbucks any time and trust me, 90% of Canada buyys their coffee there.

And I suspect--but don't know--that Starbucks pricing has more to do with their branding than the cost of their goods or their health care costs.

I don't buy coffee at Starbucks because I find it overpriced and second-rate.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Snobbery? No, I think it's more along the lines of appreciating the benefits of not living a cookie-cutter life. My family considers me the best gift-buyer, and my explanation is simple: I don't shop at malls, and the creativity is not mine but that of the small shop owners who stock unusual things.

Most of us here are newspaper people. Our customers could get the day's news for free, yet we charge money for product. We believe our work has value, that people will recognize that and not necessarily choose the cheapest option but pay a premium for our work.

Just as I place a value on my work, I also place a value on the labor of the shop owners I patronize. Their skill and talent are worth paying a premium for.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That didn't sound snobby at all.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

First off, despite some pissing matches, this is an excellent thread.

Second, let me just offer this: I have no problem with shotglass' statements. I don't agree, but I don't have a problem. What irks me is the ridiculous argument that since all companies likely have done something bad, there is no difference in shopping at one or the other.

That's simply ludicrous. If you want to say that you don't want to spend your life taking the time to research where you shop, I can understand that. But don't try and justify it to yourself by saying that every place is the same. People use the same bullshit argument to explain why they don't vote. There are differences between stores, and political candidates. They are not all the same. Accept your apathy -- hell, celebrate it -- before you embrace this moronic line of reasoning.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I haven't followed the thread, but I thought I'd chime in with a personal tale. Last night, I go to buy a muffin pan for cupcakes. When I get out of the car, I see a lady just staring at me with wild eyes. It's been raining for several hours, and it's clear that she's past the point of really even noticing. She strolls up as I get my 3-year-old out of the car. She is on the opposite side of my car. She asks for money, saying that she needs $9 to get a cab. I ask where she's going. She says that she's going to a place that helps the poor and the homeless. It sounds legitimate, but it's past 10 p.m. I'm a little leery, particulary not wanting to put my boy in danger. So I ask how the hell she made it to the Wal-Mart parking lot if she doesn't have any transportation. She says that she walked there and that she has been staying in the woods with her nephew for two weeks. That just does it for me. Too unlikely, I think. Also, too weird. I walk away feeling a little sad that I'm neglecting this woman just two weeks before Christmas. The feeling didn't last long. Within 20 minutes, I was cursing the freakin' nutballs working third shift. They block the fucking aisles, and you can't even shop. Then they hardly have any cashiers and no customer service people. The door that I entered had been locked for the night. It left me wondering why, exactly, this place stays open at night. I mean, they can't lose that much business. If they're going to have shit scattered around the store and nobody to help a customer, why open the door at all?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Figured I'd resurrect this over a story I found tonight.......

http://news.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB5SEJVN3F.html

Just freaking unreal.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

LOL <chazp>

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

WalMart, sucking the life out of working people since 1962.

9. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

I missed this thread back in December -- really interesting back & forth, guys.

Abysmal about the life insurance policies. Sheesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted