1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New "Wal-Mart is Evil" thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Check out Frontline on PBS. A really good first 20 minutes about Every Day Low Prices. You can still catch the back 40!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love my Wal-Mart today.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I love Wal-Mart every day (except for the 15 minutes I'm stuck in line behind someone trying to figure out how a debit card works to pay for a bag of Cheetos and a Dr Pepper at 2 a.m. on a Wednesday on my way home from work).

Really, though, pretty much everything I own comes from Wal-Mart, including Cheetos and Dr Pepper.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I won't buy anything at Wal-Mart except my Sunday go-to-meeting clothes.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'd buy a car at Wal-Mart if they sold them there, as long as I never had to wait 3 hours to get my oil changed on a Saturday afternoon.

6. Point of Order

Enjoy those every day low prices made of the backs of Chinese youth at $.25 an hour!

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Did the Chinese make that high horse you're on?

8. Point of Order

High horse? I guess you just don't like to see how the sausage is made.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200612/code-green-wal-mart.html

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ever stop to think that labor in foreign countries is paid at the going rate, in those countries. Maybe $1 an hour is a living wage in Vietnam or Cambodia or the Phillipines.

11. Point of Order

Well, Hondo, I did think about that, and I'll be damned. But Chinese currency (yuan??) compared to the dollar is kept artificially low by the Chinese government. Strike one.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, that's one country. Do we know, for certain, that the wages paid to workers overseas for goods sold in the U.S. aren't living wages, or at least the same as our minimum wage?

Draft saved Draft deleted