1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new tragedy in Selmer, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 16, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Small town in west Tennessee, where the woman shot and killed her minister husband.

Today, at a Cars for Kids benefit auto show, a car (described as a "dragster") loses control and slams into bystanders at the local park. TV out of Memphis reporting four dead ... a Nashville TV reporter I talked to on the phone a little while ago says it may have been four children.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Here is what has moved on the AP wire:

4 Dead, Up to 15 Injured After Dragster Hits Bystanders at a Charity Show in Tenn.
    SELMER, Tenn. (AP) -- A vehicle drag racing at a car show lost control and spun into a crowd of bystanders on Saturday, killing four people and injuring up to 15, authorities said.
    Investigators were trying to determine what caused the vehicle to careen into the crowd at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.
    Scott Henley, of Selmer, witnessed the accident and said the vehicle started burn-ing off its tires, then began to fishtail and slammed into a light pole before spinning around into the audience.
    Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said, ``bodies were flying into the air when it happened.''
    Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said authorities did not know how many people had been brought to area hospitals to be treated for their injuries.
    He said the vehicle has been described as a drag racing car, but he did not have more details yet about the vehicle.
    Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 per year for charities that help children in need, according to the charity's Web site.
    About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event in Selmer.

3. HejiraHenry

Dreadful.

I worked at the little weekly there for a short while before moving on to Tupelo.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

HH, do you know what the facility where this happened is like? Barring an airborne-type accident, I can't imagine how a car can end up in a crowd. I guess I'm thinking of NHRA-sanctioned drag strips, this being a car show perhaps was much different. And terrifying.

5. HejiraHenry

Well, I know where the park is, and it's on US 45, which runs through the middle of town, such as it is.

The only thing I can think of is that road was blocked off and people were lined along the side of the street.

On of the Memphis TV stations will do a live standup there at 9 p.m. CDT. Maybe I can get my bearings after I see that.

6. HejiraHenry

Live standup via phone from Memphis was a dial tone.

7. ARD

ARD Member

AP has several photos.

8. HejiraHenry

AP story now updates dead as being four adults and adds the detail that the accident occurred during a parade.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

AP reporting three more dead, bringing toll to seven:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19267840/

Very sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted