1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

He'll have well more than 3,000 hits and a lifetime batting average well above .300. If he retires today he has a .317 career average. He was a rookie of the year, an All Star MVP and World Series MVP. He has four rings and his team has made the playoffs every year of his career. He's made the All-Star team every year since 1998, except for 2005. He has three gold gloves and six top ten MVP finishes. He's finished in the top 10 in batting average eight times, top 10 in runs scored nine times and top 10 in hits 10 times. He's had more than 200 hits six times, scored more than 100 runs 11 times. He's stolen more than 20 bases seven times. In 123 post-season games, he has a .309 average, 17 HRs, 49 RBIs and 85 runs scored.

Do you consider Ryan Sandberg or Bobby Doerr hall of famers (comparable hitters according baseballreference.com)? Jeter's average is 30 points higher than either of theirs and the rest of his numbers are superior already, without the years he has ahead. They didn't play for the Yankees and are Hall of Famers -- without mentioning the fact that neither of them had the postseason performance Jeter has put up.

Even without the rings and the post-season hits, he's a no-brainer Hall of Famer, whether he had been on the Yankees or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Someone was reading baseball reference .com today.

3. The Big Ragu

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

Yeah. My head almost exploded as I counted up all those top 10 seasons. I can understand not liking the Yankees or not liking Jeter. But I don't get denying how good a player he's been. There are a handful of no-brainer Hall of Famers playing today, assuming they don't get busted for PEDs. Jeter is solidly on that list. Only one or two more seasons cements it and he'll have more than that.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If he'd been on the Rays, those postseason rings and hits would never have happened. And that's where he built the bulk of his legacy thanks in part to the New York tabloids. "Mr November", anyone?

He's a very good leadoff/No.2 hitter, and he will get into the hall of fame, but that he has 1. Played for the Yankees and been continually lionized and 2. Gotten the opportunity to play in 12 straight postseasons has done nothing but help his cause.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To be fair, it's not as if Jeter has been a passenger on those Yankee teams; he hasn't been the 25th of 25 players. Since 1996, he's been an offensive lynchpin.

6. The Big Ragu

GB, You can't look at him without looking at his postseason performance. It's almost as if some people want to penalize him for being a big part of a winning team. That is part of why he is deserving. I agree with you, though, being a Yankee makes him more prominent... But as I said, even without the postseason performance or being on the Yankees, he's a hall of famer if guys like Ryan Sandberg and Bobby Doerr are. Jeter has been a better player than either was. Just based on batting performance, he has the same average, same number of hits and similar HR and RBI numbers to Kirby Puckett, who is a beloved Hall of Famer. Would the same people saying Jeter doesn't belong say Puckett doesn't? Jeter has a career .317 average and has all of those 200 hit seasons. And he he really has been a clutch player his whole career. The hatred of him blinds some people.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Had Jeter not been on those Yankee teams, it's possible no one on those teams would have four rings.

Jeter's a very-good-to-great hitter with a history of coming up big in the clutch (please don't start the debate on whether that skill actually exists). He'll retire with slam-dunk Hall of Fame numbers.

And he's also over-rated as a fielder ...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The extremes here really are a bit much.

Jeter is a Hall of Famer. No question. Yes, being surrounded by great talent has helped, but he has also been a big part of the team's success.

But he is average at best defensively. Rodriguez was the superior defender and even as he has bulked up and spent so much time at third base, I still think he would be better at the position than Jeter. It is amazing to me that the Yankees let the inferior player stay at his position primarily out of deference to Jeter's ego. Yankee fanboys want to talk about how they won championships with Jeter but not with Rodriguez? Perhaps it would have helped if they put the better defender at shortstop.

I think it's the Captain Intangibles crap that causes much of the hatred directed at Jeter. He just doesn't deserve the credit he gets as a leader. A leader would have stepped up and helped his teammate out rather than allowing his personal issues with Rodriguez make things worse. Maybe he really is great in the clubhouse. But most of the people pumping him up for his intangibles don't know any better than I do if that is true. Perhaps some people who have covered the team can offer some more insight there.

Jeter will get into the Hall of Fame for the offensive skills he brought as a shortstop and his contributions to great teams and deservedly so, but as a defender and a leader I don't see how he has ever been anything special.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How many times have you been in the Yankee clubhouse?

10. outofplace

Boom, are you having trouble with the quote function there? I think you stuck a question in the middle of my post.

If you meant to ask about the time I have spent in the Yankee clubhouse, I believe I admitted that I haven't spent nearly enough to tell you definitively about Jeter as a leader. In fact, I asked if those who have actually covered the team on a regular basis could provide some insight.

My point was most of the people going on about what a great leader he is have no clue. The only real evidence I see regarding his leadership skills is negative -- his refusal to say anything meaningful about Alex Rodriguez.

spnited asked earlier in this thread for real evidence regarding Jeter's fielding. I'm asking for the same about his leadership skills. Does anybody who actually knows what they are talking about on the subject have something to say about that?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So what other shortstops in MLB baseball today would you take over Jeter for next season?

All the people bashing Jeter, what other players would you take for 2008?

I'm curious to see what other names come up.

12. outofplace

Saying his defense and leadership are over-rated is not the same as bashing.

The more appropriate question for this thread might be which shortstops are better defenders than Jeter. Obviously, that's pretty subjective, but for me that would be a fairly long list.

Draft saved Draft deleted