1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

Ripken and Jeter are two very different people -- not players, people. Ripken would do what it takes for the team to win. Jeter will do what it takes for the team to win, so long as he's front and center.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Mike, there are those who believe Cal's insistence on keeping the streak alive did more to keep him front and center than it did to help the O's win.
    There was also that little issue of staying in a separate hotel away from the team.

Other than that ...

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

Hey, that's an easy one. I've been following Ripken since the day I was born.

I've heard the story of Weaver moving Ripken from third to short all my life.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never heard the second part. But he did move to third base when it was apparent his time there was dwindling.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What exactly is this observation based on? Ripken kept playing every day to keep his streak alive, even when many thought a day of rest every now and again would benefit his team.

Jeter may or may not be a below-average fielding shortstop, but he plays hard and he plays to win. He runs out every ground ball, a rarity nowadays. He is the shortstop of a team that has made the playoffs every year he has played--since 1996. He has a history of clutch hits and some damned good plays in the field in big games. The hate he engenders on here is funny. He has easily the best and most consistent shortstop in baseball for more than a decade.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, Ragu, the best and most consistent shortstop in baseball for the past decade is playing third base for the Yankees.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- First, I wanted him to move to CF before they signed Damon. They'd be much better off.

- While he is a bad fielder, you guys way overdo it trashing him. He is an easy HOFer.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree to a degree... A-Rod has more talent in his pinky than Jeter (or any other player) has in their whole body. But his nickname among other players used to be "The Cooler." As in, any time he left a team, it got better and every time he joined a team it got worse... In any case, as long as A-Rod is playing third base, he is not the best shortstop in baseball.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, on both counts.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The sabermetric community has known about this for years. I think, in his prime, the problems with Jeter's defense were overblown in those circles, but as he's aged, he's losing more and more range....

It's shocking how many hits get past him on what would be routine grounders for most shortstops. Chien Ming Wang's ERA would probably go down a run with a real Gold Glover at SS.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now that might be the greatest exaggeration in SJ history.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

It's an exaggeration, but not much of one. The difference between Jeter and the best shortstop in baseball is probably in the .20-.30 runs per game range. Wang is such an extreme GBer it could easily be .40-.50 when he's pitching.

Draft saved Draft deleted