1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Jeter as my shortstop then Reyes any day.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anybody who watched the 2002 ALDS between the Angels and Yankees has known this for five-plus years. Anaheim hit about a dozen 37-hop singles to Jeter's glove side in that series.

As hilarious as the fan comments are, it's even more hilarious that the writer didn't try to solicit a single "expert" opinion from a baseball analyst, coach, scout, manager or player. Well done!

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When he only makes plays on 3/4 of the balls he's supposed to, and routinely makes the normal look spectacular, then yes, he's completely overrated in the field.

Spn, if you think Stats Inc. and MLB don't have people charting every single play for every single major league game every season, I don't know what to tell you.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I did not know for a fact that they do, GB.
    Too often these "range" stats are based on some statistical norm of number of chances a shortstop "should" handle ad aren't real world numbers.
    If mlb.com and/or Stats inc. literally charted every batted ball in every game, with a designated "zone" for shortstops, then the stat has meaning.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

Not only that, but they are tracking the velocity, location and trajectory of every single pitch through the Pitch F/X system. Every pitch, every play, can be accounted for and measured -- and not by some hack. MLB Advanced Media and SportVision are the ones developing this system.

http://webusers.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/pitchtracker.html

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jeter might need to give way at short to another player. Heck, I'm 95 percent sure he needs to do this, but at the plate, he is still a great player.

Everyone here wants him to move from short to third or first I'm assuming. Does anyone think he will be a better fielder (as in above average to good) at those positions?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks, Buck. Now that is informative.

And Devil, Jeter will die before he moves to another position.

8. 93Devil

Was the same thing ever said or typed about Cal?

I'm not doubting you, but never is a long time.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

He'll pull a Pete Rose and shift to first when he's moved beyond 3,000 hits and is chasing 4,257. And he'll be as much a waste there as Rose was.

10. 93Devil

Somehow through all that sucktitude, he helped the Phillies collect a WS.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

For the love of Mike (no, not this one, I am sick of that play. Jeter caught the ball in play, ran two or three steps and dove into the stands. David Wright made a play soon after, making the catch while diving into the stands. And, in comparison, it seemed like no one fucking saw it.

12. 93Devil

Jesus. You just knew that? Were you even a glint in your daddy's eye in 1983 or 1982 when Cal came up?

Fuck Buck, you know your shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted