1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You'll hate me for this Spnited, but Jeter's Zone Range was by far the worst in the American League last season.

When the ball was hit into the short stop zone, he only got the the ball 76.5% of the time. That's got to have either something to do with poor positioning, or the fact that if he's in position, he can't cover the full area other short stops can.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

I wonder how badly damaged his shoulder was following the collision with Ken Huckaby, and how much arm strength--if any--he lost.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I do hope somebody watched and charted every inning of every Yankees game last year to come up with that "statistic."

I'm not defending Jeter .. he turns plays that other shortstops make routinely into something "spectacular" and the Yankees homers like Kay and Stelring gush over what a great play it was.
    The other 2 shortstops in NY -- the one next to Jeter and the one at Shea -- would have made that same play look far less spectaular.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What, you don't like the leaping throw to first on a routine grounder?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the f

I always believed Jeter is the Jim Edmonds of the infield.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why yes. It's from Stats Inc., and mlb.com.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's a real good comparison. I hadn't thought of that before, but you're right.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every game? Every batted ball. Watched, charted, etc.?

So is the ball heading toward short that is cut off by the third baseman in the shortsop zone or the third baseman zone?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Spn, I hardly think stats and mlb are using incomplete stats for these things. As far as his range factor, Jeter ranked 41st among all those, whether it was 1 game or 162, who played SS in the American League last season.

As far as I know, if the third baseman takes a ball that would have been in the short stop zone, it doesn't count against the SS, since it is thought that the SS would still have made the play if the 3B hadn't made the play himself.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

GB, the only way those stats can be accurate is if somebody watched every game and charted every batted ball in every MLB game played last season.
    Again, not defending Jeter... an adequate, at best, SS. Just saying I'd like proof of the methodology.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I am far from being a Yankee defender. But I don't think it is necessarily fair to rank Jeter behind a SS who may have played in a handful of games. I would take the range statistic much more seriously if it broke down along starting and reserve position players.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

this annual jeter-bashing from a defensive standpoint makes me laugh heartily. seriously. he's single-handedly broken every tenet of baseball knowledge i've held near and dear for a lifetime, i guess. :eek: :eek: :eek:

i mean, having a good defensive shortstop is supposed to be a given for a successful team. sure, there are single-season exceptions to the rule. but jeter's been the star shortstop for a playoff team every effin' year since 1996. and these analysts want me to believe the yanks have done this with a below-average defensive shortstop? puh-leeze.

have back at it, yankee/jeter bashers. yankee fans everywhere just pray their team can somehow overcome the liability at shortstop to make the playoffs yet again. ::) ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted