1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new study reports what BYH has known for years: Jeter's a butcher in the field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Alex Rodriguez was a better defensive shortstop than Derek Jeter in 2004.

Alex Rodriguez is a better defensive shorstop than Derek Jeter today.

Alex Rodriguez will be a better defensive shortstop than Derek Jeter in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2015.

You play your best defensive player at shortstop.

With a new manager, unshackled to the mistakes of the past, there would be no better time to switch.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too bad he's shackled to Jeter from their days with the Dynasty.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gotta, Cal Ripken was asked to switch to third by the Orioles. Right before Mike Bordick signed, he then called Cal to make sure it was cool. But Cal also played a few games of third in 1996 so that Manny Alexander could play every day. That didn't last long at all, for obvious reasons. Then they moved Cal back for the rest of the season and then signed a good SS the next year.

Also Robin Yount called, and wants to know when HOF players didn't switch positions in the prime of their careers? You know, from SS to CF?

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Robin would also like to remind everyone that he made the move to centerfield after a shoulder injury...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I repeat, Derek Jeter will never play any position but shortstop. The Yankees dare not ask him to move because Captain Fantastic will whine like a little bitch if they do.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He won't whine. He just won't support the manager.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hell, Craig Biggio* moved positions, what, three times (C to 2B to CF back to 2B)?

* not a Hall of Famer yet, but will be no matter what you think, mainly because he passed 3,000 hits.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Like I said and you continue to prove, you are just another Yankee fan who can't stand any criticism of Derek Jeter, which makes me feel just fine about my previous comments.

Nobody knows exactly what the reaction would be if he had tried to stand up for Rodriguez, but Jeter didn't even bother to try. Not because he thought it was best for the team to leave it alone, but because he doesn't like the guy. That's an educated guess, but one I'm comfortable with. Didn't he stand up for Jason Giambi, a steroid cheat?

I'm not belittling his abilities. Jeter is a tremendous offensive shortstop and a player who has come through in the clutch quite a bit. But he is also a below-average defender and I just don't see any evidence of the great leadership he seems to get credit for from Yankee fans.

And please save us your attempts to separate yourselves from the Yankee fanboys. It just doesn't hold up.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but he reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally likes the yankees.

10. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

outofplace, you're being ridiculous. Under your twisted logic, no one can make any argument in favor of Jeter without being a "fanboy." No one can like possibly like both of these guys. I won't make the mistake of trying to confront you with reason again.

As others noted, Yount's move was made after an injury. Biggio did move twice and is a greater person for doing it. The fact that a guy doesn't volunteer to change positions doesn't make him evil. How many people here would offer to give up a major beat because your paper just brought in someone with more experience, more awards, more contacts? Would not volunteering to move make you a bad teammate? I stand corrected on Cal. The point I'm trying to make is that no one has asked Jeter to move and they probably won't because the conventional wisdom, for better or worse in baseball, is that you don't fix something that's not broken. And with a few exceptions, baseball teams won't make a move like that because sabermetrics says they should.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Logic? I'm not saying anybody defending Jeter is a fanboy. I am specifically responding to you. Your posts are exactly the same kind of crap we hear on talk radio from Yankee fans trying to blame all of their team's recent failures on Alex Rodriguez and his "lack of courage," while holding up Jeter as perfection itself.

We don't even know if Jeter was ever asked to move. And the "if it ain't broke" argument is foolish. Any team should always be looking to improve itself. That is why they acquired Rodriguez even though they already had Jeter.

Again, Rodriguez was the better shortstop at the time and he still is. Jeter is a below-average shortstop and he should have moved for Rodriguez long ago just like he should have stood up for Rodriguez as he did for Giambi. But in both case, and this is only my belief, he has allowed his own ego to get in the way to the detriment of the team.

Great player. No doubt. Hall of Famer. But not a great leader and never a particularly good defender.

Draft saved Draft deleted