1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new realm of hell needs to be created for these people

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Now it's a real No. 2 pencil.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

as someone who was never a part of any team or group that did hazing I have to ask, just what is the team supposed to gain from it? If I was a freshman offensive lineman on the football team and the senior quarterback wrapped me a duct-tape, I wouldn't exactly be thinking 'I must protect this guy with my life,' I would be thinking 'this asshole wrapped me in duct-tape, I think I'm going to let this defensive lineman flatten him, 'cuz seriously, fuck that guy.'

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My freshman year of track in high school I wasn't hazed. They tried to bully me into quitting the team (as I described in another thread) but I wasn't hazed. I don't recall any hazing going on (this was 1984).
    There was one semi-cruel punishment doled out to a junior distance runner (among the best in the county) when he mouthed off to one of the captains at an away meet -- he had to lie on his back on the bus for part of the ride home while holding a shotput over his head as the co-captains plucked out some of his leg hairs.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, now. It's beyond you?

Sex is introduced to kids through their parents' rotten TV choices at a very young age today. Combine that with America's ingrained taste for violence, and you get what we're getting.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's because the freshman has to earn the senior's trust. If the freshman is not willing to go through what the senior went through when he was a freshman, how can he trust him?
    And no, I'm not condoning this sort of thing, just trying to explain the rationale.
    I think that whole mindset is wrong and one should not do something to a teammate that he wouldn't do to a total stranger without getting arrested or sued.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You think that's fucking funny? Dick.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This sort of stuff is certainly not limited to athletic teams. Nor is it new.

When I was in school, it was sort of accepted as part of the culture and if you went to the authorities (school or police) to complain, you were treated as an outcast, which few teenagers enjoy, either. So often the lesser of two evils was to keep quiet and be one of the boys. Then when you were the upper classmen you didn't feel so bad about dishing out under the premise of "hey, I had to put up with it when I was a freshman and I survived, so will they."

Coaches and administrators shouldn't allow this crap anymore than they allow what the basketball coach at Rutgers did last year.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I suppose he could have been raped with a pencil dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted