1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new NFL news website

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not sure where this topic belonged, but The National Football Post debuted this weekend it appears (the welcome message is dated Aug. 9, but most of the stories are from today).

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/

It has some former NFL guys (Mike Lombardi probably being the most recognizable name).

Looks like mostly commentary wrapped around NFL.com headlines. I'll check it out for a bit and see if it is worthwhile, but seems like something for the diehards.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I figure I'll bump this one rather than starting an entirely new topic ...

I'm wondering what the reaction has been from NFL beat writers, especially in the past year, regarding the establishment of this Web site.

It seems to me that a lot of the news, rumors, whispers, grumblings, etc. this offseason are being picked up and reported by this outlet, which is made up of a few writers and several former executives, former players and former agents. The two I saw today include word that Eli Manning has already signed a contract extension and that Terrell Owens will not be in Dallas next year.

I want to make it clear that I'm not discrediting any of the writers' work. But I get the impression that these guys are using their connections to try to vulture, for lack of a better word, the news that other writers couldn't get - and good for them, actually, because it's part of the competition.

But unless a beat writer has done his job really, really well, I just can't imagine a case where he or she is able to call up an agent to ask about the news like a former agent would be able to do, or a former executive would be able to do.

Any thoughts or comments?

Draft saved Draft deleted