1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new low in stepdad depravity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 18, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And as an added bonus, the high school is alma mater to an esteemed SportsJournalists.com member (as well as my wife's). Anyone here want to own up?

Millikan coach arrested in alleged taping of teen
    Stepdaughter found camera; basketball coach placed on leave.
    By Tracy Manzer, Staff writer
    Article Launched: 09/17/2007 08:13:21 PM PDT

LONG BEACH - The Millikan High School head boys basketball coach was arrested over the weekend on suspicion of secretly videotaping his 16-year-old stepdaughter after the girl allegedly found a camera containing graphic images hidden in her bedroom closet.

Officer Jason Evans, a Long Beach Police Department spokesman, said Monday that officers arrested the 41-year-old Long Beach man at his Eastside home Saturday on a charge of "secretly videotaping a juvenile member of his family for sexual gratification."

Evans did not release the suspect's name, citing concern for the victim.

But multiple sources confirmed to the Press-Telegram that it is Raul Olivas, the head basketball coach for Millikan High School's boys team and a mathematics teacher at the school.

Evans said the suspect was arrested at his residence and that so far there is no evidence showing any crimes were committed outside of the man's home.

"But our investigation remains open and ongoing," Evans added.

School officials declined to discuss the investigation, referring questions to the police department.

Long Beach School District spokesman Chris Eftychiou did confirm that Olivas has been placed on administrative
    Advertisement
    leave for an "undetermined amount of time."

Olivas has worked at Millikan since 2000, Eftychiou said.

Olivas could not be reached for comment Monday.

Evans said investigators with the child abuse unit served a warrant at the suspect's home shortly after the 41-year-old's arrest and collected evidence.

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's inmate information center, Olivas was arrested by Long Beach Police at 2:45 p.m. Saturday, booked on the misdemeanor charge at the Long Beach Police Department jail at 3:54 p.m. and released on bond, which was listed at $25,000, by 11:38 p.m. that same day.

He was arrested the same day his 16-year-old stepdaughter discovered the hidden camera in her bedroom closet, police said.

The girl was searching for something when she came across the camera trained on a part of the room where she typically dressed. On it were images of her in states of undress, sources told the P-T.

Olivas' arraignment is scheduled for Sept. 27, police said.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not a new low, but it's right at the bottom of the pathetic meter.

3. man, how bad must the mom feel right now? Obviously it's not her fault, but to know you let this scumbag into your childs life must be hard to take.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My alma mater (class of '89); started working at the P-T in the fall of '89.

Interesting the P-T outed the teacher, as it should because it's news, even though cops woudln't release his name to protect the girl. But what happens to the girl now? Transfer because she's been humiliated in the worst of ways?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know it really sucks for her, but why should she be humiliated? She shouldn't. She was changing clothes in her room. Every person in America does that.

I wish there was a way to convince kids that doing perfectly normal things should not be humiliating for them even if some other idiot tries to pervert it. She simply has nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. I hope she comes to realize that.

Now him? I hope he resisted and the cops tasered him a few times. :D

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

At our paper, in such a circumstance, we would only identify the perv had videotaped (allegedly) an underage girl, rather than identifying the person as "his stepdaughter." There's no need to ID the girl, even indirectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted