1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new low, for me anyways...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ReggieRedbird57, Mar 28, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just when I get fed up with parents bitching about every little thing, I remember a story from long ago. We took football mugs of our high school players before the season started and we planned to use the mugs as needed all season.
    The star quarterback from one school was a black kid, had kinda long hair which was all gnarly because he had his helmet on before the photo was taken. Well, I hate to say it, in the photo he looked kinda like a gorilla. We joked about it in the office, but there were a few instances when we needed the mug and we used it.
    So one day, phone rings. It's the kid's mom. She is very nice, not angry at all, and says, "Would you guys mind not using that mug shot of my son anymore. He looks like a gorilla."
    That made it worth the effort to go reshoot him.

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I covered a run-of-the-mill softball game last week where Team A kicked the shit out of Team B. The photo that ran with the story was of a player from Team A, mid-swing, connecting for a two-RBI double. The play pictured was actually the point in the game where I started the story, so it worked out exceptionally well.

A grandmother of a player on the winning team called the next day to let me know that she appreciated the newspaper's coverage, but she just wanted to remind me that TEAM A won the game, and when she looks at the paper she can count 1-2-3-4-5 players from Team B in the shot and just ONE player from Team A. THIS IS JUST NOT RIGHT, she said, and implored us to cover the teams fairly in the future.

Hey. Bitch. The girl from your team is SMASHING A DOUBLE in the fucking photo. The five girls from the other team are OUTFIELDERS. There are going to be more of them when your team is on offense. Fucking. Asshole.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Five outfielders?

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That's a new low? C'mon, that's commendable behavior from my years in preps. No threat of a dropped subscription -- back when we had subscribers -- or calls to an editor? Send her a medal!

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can't believe no one has suggested you upper deck her. Well, let me be the first.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what's a "because asshole?"

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can you honestly say you're surprised?

(Quoted for posterity after Junkie goes on one of his many mass-deletion binges. :D )

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Never thought of it like that, but that's hilarious and probably true.

9. ReggieRedbird57

ReggieRedbird57 New Member

We shot the photo this week. It is not a file photo.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good question.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

rule no. 1 of emails from readers: do not read them

rule no. 2: if you cannot resist adhering to rule no. 1, never, ever respond to critical parents going to bat for their child.

DO. NOT. EVER. RESPOND. IN ANY WAY.

lest it's to say, "thank you for reading."

it's no different than dealing with parents of your own kids' friends. simply nod and support whatever they say.

parents do not want to hear the truth about their kids. and always want their own child to be played up before another child.

RETREAT AND IGNORE, NEWBIE. ;) ;) ;)

and fetch spnited a cold one while you're at it.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Reggie,

In the interest of acknowledging the mother -- something people usually appreciate and something that will probably surprise her -- you should email her back.

When you do, explain, briefly, that the Co-wrestler of the year honor is just what it says it is: For this year/season, and not a cumulative award that necessarily takes into account the athlete's past performances.

Then, explain that, typically, the best photo -- as in quality of the photo, not who's in front, or smiling more, etc. -- is used. Period.

That's all there is to it, no conspiracy, no attempt to denigrate or overshadow anyone, and nothing against any particular kid over another.

It's just the best portrait photo, as judged by the photo and/or other editors. That's it. Oh, and throw in that line you had in your original post about her son being a good kid, and very enjoyable.

Lighten up, Junkie. I'm pretty sure that was just spnited's way initiating Reggie to the board -- his idea of a warm welcome, if you will.

Reggie should probably almost consider it an honor (and, of course, learn from it, too). I kind of look at it as being along same lines as earning a "Solid. Damn Solid," from Tom Petty.

You know?

Draft saved Draft deleted