1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new laptop is in my future

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Sep 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

With there being four pinstripes now running down the screen of my Gateway, I think I've irritated my wife to the point that we'll be getting a new laptop in the next week or two.

Questions:

1. I'm giving serious thought to going Mac this time around. Is it now at the point where I can transfer a lot of my Windows programs/files over to the Mac?

2. What should I demand in terms of RAM?

Any other advice you can give would be welcomed.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If it's just the monitor, you may want to get it looked at. My monitor on my laptop went completely to shit once, but a 50 dollar part (honestly, just some sort of ribbon) fixed it and it's worked just fine since then.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If you go Mac, you should be fine moving over most of your stuff. Now, if you're going the other way, that's where you can get an issue. PCs can't read files created on Macs, for the most part. What types of files will be you be moving? I know most of my files are photo and some form of a written document. I guess there are audio files as well.

As for RAM, I think most Macs now come standard with enough RAM to accomplish most tasks. But, if you want to be safe, add a little to the standard allocation.

If you've never used a Mac, you'll want a two-button mouse.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Do. Not. Get. A. Dell.

In case I wasn't clear the first time, I'll repeat myself: Do. Not. Get. A. Dell.

Had not one, not two, but THREE Dells (two work laptops and my home computer) take various steaming dumps on me in an eight-month span. That's one crashed hard drive, one burned out CPU and one I-still-don't-know-WTF-happened-but-the-computer-was-toast.

Have a Toshiba now. Love it.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have a Dell laptop and had a Dell desktop before. Never had a problem with either.

My Mac, however, shit out after three months after four drops of water got on the outside of it. So I now have the world's most expensive paperweight.

So, don't take either statement as an absolute. Dells don't always blow, Macs aren't for everyone.

6. HeinekenMan

If you get a Dell, make sure to spend the extra cash for the danged virus protection. If you get a Mac, don't bother.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you get a Dell, shell out for the extended warranty as well.

And on any PC, get virus protection [/oncelosteverythingincluding100pagesofabooktoavirus]

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I had screen problems with a Gateway. It was cracked and there were black spots covering about 2/3s of the screen. It was going to be $300-500 to replace it. I figured I might as well get a new lappy. I went with a mac. I was used to using them because that's what we used at my office, so it made for an easy switch.

I'm not sure what to suggest for RAM. I went with an ibook, then increased the RAM, but I heard you'd fine without extra. I am pretty sure that it's easy to transfer files from Windows. At least word / excel/ MS Office ones should be.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Neither of us said anything about cracks in the monitor though. That's why a simple little ribbon you can find on ebay might save him a few hundred bucks.

10. HeinekenMan

When you get your Mac, get yourself an iPhone. You'll be set for about six years.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have a dell laptop and desktop. Hard drive in desktop crash 20 months ago, but since the computer was born in Dec. 2002, that's understandable.
    Boosted the ram, added bells and whistles and it's fine.
    Next desktop I buy (by the end of the year) it's a dell.

12. HeinekenMan

My Dell's hard drive crashed several years ago, and I spent forever and a day talking to people named "Steve" who lived in Ahmedabad, India. When I had an issue with my Mac, I talked to someone in the States who actually helped me. The last time I talked to someone from Apple, though, it was "Steve," so perhaps their customer service has faded.

As far as hard drives go, they get old and crash, and they usually crash most when they're about full. So get a big hard drive, regardless of what kind of computer you buy. You never want that thing to be more than about 25 percent full, maybe 50 percent.

Draft saved Draft deleted