1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New "Fuhrer?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Journo13, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And it doesn't need to be. C'mon, play nice.

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

Just curious: how aware was the average American of Japanese internment camps in the early 40s? Surely Americans on the Pacific coast had to realize that Japanese-Americans were disappearing.

Obviously the internment camps weren't the same as concentration camps in Germany, Poland, etc., but I'm asking sincerely: were internment camps common knowledge at the time?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Germans are pre-ordained to kill, what about Turks who killed Armenians? Serbs, Croats and Bosnians who killed each other in the 40s and 90s? Russians who killed every ethnic group under the sun, including their own? Japanese who systematically killed Chinese? English who mowed down Indians in the Amritsar Massacre? French who killed Algerians in the 50s and 60s? Americans who wiped out native Americans in the 1800s?

Each of these terrible incidents have their own individual causes. And yes, as mentioned there ARE wingnuts in each of those ethnic groups, but it doesn't mean you paint them all with a broad brush.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The broad German population was ultra-vulnerable to a slick operator, after the brutality of WWI
    and a peace treaty which did not do Germany any favors. Have a far greater problem with Austria(Hitler's home country), and its lengthy love affair with the smell of fascism.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Not saying I support or defend what we did on our soil, but don't you think it was more fear-based than race-based for most who debated it? Yeah, I wonder why Germans weren't selected because the Reich certainly had the tools to ID Jews amongst them. Did that say more about our intelligence ineptitude than race? I don't know that answer, I'm just asking for discussion's sake.

Even where it was race-based, or ethnic-based, it certainly wouldn't be the first war in that category.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

Our situation with internment camps, compared to German death/concentration camps, was totally different. I'm not saying it wasn't.

My question was for comparison's sake, and was sincere. I'm not sure how aware Americans were of the internment camps. I've read about the camps but never about American reaction to them or knowledge of them at the time.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd say it was pretty well known:

[​IMG]

Besides that, the Santa Anita Racetrack was used as a camp to intern the Japanese. People who went to the track to place some bets were in for a pretty big surprise.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They used Anita? I know they used Tanforan racetrack, up near Frisco, where the majority of California
    Japanese were located . . .

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. There's a plaque near the entrance honoring those who were forced to live there.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Turks kill, Germans kill, Ancient Romans killed. But Muslims don't kill. We kill threads that even speaketh about it. And the attack in Chechnya didn't happen. We can talk "Fuhrer" because Nazis are by liberals associated with Republicans. But we'll defend those who kill in Allah's name because Allah evidently is the general of the Democratic Party. Does anyone see the double-standard in popping threads?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No. But I see the continued standard of stupidity in yours.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the one thing all these closed threads have in common?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.