1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New "Fuhrer?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Journo13, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journo13

Journo13 Member

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I bet the numbers would be similar in most European countries and the U.S. Just substitute leader with power to enact laws with Fuhrer.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought. Drop "fuhrer" and the US number would be higher.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Austria's much odder, and a huge contributing factor. No accident Adolph was Austrian.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kind of like everyone loves the backup quarterback, right?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The percentage would be low in the United States right now because of who is President.

It would have been high in the United States from 2001-08.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think it would skyrocket right now.

Go out and ask people if they would support centralizing power behind a good Christian who would make sure non-Christians have less influence. Bet you the number is higher than 13%.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, right, right.

I was just thinking of the question as, "Would you support the President being able to unilaterally enact enforceable laws?"

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think the fact that Americans wanted to make Washington the king of the United States right after winning a war of independence from a monarch shows that there is an inclination for being paternally controlled fighting within most people against their inclinations for personal liberty.

I know Christopher Hitchens has always maintained that notion.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Based on reexamined demographic data, guesstimating that number at about 27%.

Fortunately, everyone else looks at that 27%, and when that 27% tries to endrun the will of the broad populace and win a general, the 73% goes, "No, no, no" (excepting 2000, but that was what that was).

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Führer

Fuehrer

Furor

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I lived there for 3 years recently and it's a cool country, with the top economy in Europe, I think.
    People there are routinely furious about Russian immigrants who eat up tax-sponsored social welfare help.
    They don't like most Muslims, who usually can be found sticking together and not standing up to decry the "fanatical, violent Muslims."
    There is a wide range of incomes there, but the most can at least call themselves middle class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.