1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dicky in the Chicago area don't they sell it earlier? I got 3 stouts and a barley wine today, that was the limit at the place in NJ my buddy's town (kind of upscale place in middle-upper class town). My other buddy went to a place in NY kind of white trash town and he got 12 stout and 6 regal rye. He said him and another guy got all that place had. It is way inconsistent around NJ and NY. Some places in NJ have it but can't sell until Dec 1, others got it and had a limit, which seems pretty reasonable. Two other places I go to they said they would hold it, they put you on a list. The one I know I will definitely get because manager of the place is a friend of a friend. Did you get any from the previous years?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They actually don't sell it earlier here. There were huge lines all over the area. We travel about 90 minute east for the holiday, to the South Bend area. But it turned out that you have to reserve yours well in advance at the big chain there, so I'll have to remember that next year.

I bought a dry-aged ribeye at Whole Foods last night and had a little feast for myself.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I had Bourbon County Stout on draft a couple of weeks ago at the Corner Stable in Kings Contrivance, Columbia, MD.

Right now I'm having Palma Louca from Brazil, 4.7% ABV, a rather standard lager. But, it's brewed in Canada. I hate when foreign beers get brewed in Canada just to be able to say they are imported.

Xingu is next. Followed perhaps by a Brazilian cocktail. I don't think I am going to see any other Brazilian things tonight, unless I go to Spearmint Rhino.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I had Xingu about 20 years ago. Tasted like it was brewed from tree batk.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is my "little Christmas miracle" and will be opening on XMas Eve night with the wife for one of hopefully many small tastes over the next few years.
    [​IMG]

Fly, Vombatus and three_bags_full like this.
  6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First of my Army-themed tap handles finished today by a wood carver who operates a shop here on Soto Cano. Pretty awesome, I think. Three more in the works.

Tap handle2.jpg

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Very cool

8. Vombatus

I'm trying to read the text in the three arcs.
    The bottom one looks like: UNITED STATES AMERICA
    The top looks like a unit name (no need to tell us that - no need to know, OPSEC, etc.)
    The next one under that is awesome: THE DEAD AREN'T GRATEFUL

Nice motto and insignia. Keep up the great work.

VB

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Bottom says Dustoff Central America.

Do a search for that phrase you found for a clearer look at the logo.

And let me know if this is too specific of a post and I'll delete it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow, is that still around?
    I know it has been more than 20 years for me.
    I always liked that black Xingu.

11. Vombatus

I've had it frequently here in Maryland. Bottled only - never seen it on draft.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry it's such a crappy photo. I had to shrink it to get it to fit here.

No issue with posting the unit name, etc. Here's a picture of it before I had him put the dates on the front.

Tap handle.jpg

ChrisLong and Vombatus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted