1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Navajo Prayer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 28, 2008.

1. A friend sent me a link to a blog that linked to this.
    I think the last part of this -- "I am restored..." etc. -- is one of the finest prayers I've ever heard.
    And, yes, I think this is the strangest thread I've ever started.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3SwCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA163&dq=%22The+world+before+me+is+restored+in+beauty.%22&ei=M78uSfeMI5iyMNSYhe4G&client=firefox-a#PPA158,M1

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

We used a Navajo prayer at our wedding...if I can find it, i'll post it.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I remember that prayer being adapted, but not copied, by George Herriman in his decades-ahead-of-its-time Krazy Kat comic.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rf_RehmSjG4C&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=today+my+world+walks+in+beauty.+Beneath+me+a+good+earth-&source=web&ots=hWhZdjsedi&sig=XJxvG63lJWIgeX6HvjRQTyvn42g&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Think of Eurydice. Think of Lot's wife. It seems to be a universal tale. Should not one person in one culture at one time have made it?

5. wi --
    You are the most erudite sumbitch for five counties around. You know this, right?

6. writing irish

Fenian, there are quite a few intellectual cattle, as well as several bookish quail and thoughtful pheasants, who are preparing a long and indignant rebuttal to that remark.

7. writing irish

As a side note, I'd recommend Krazy Kat to anyone interested in the 1920s and 30s- particularly those interested in visual art or jazz-age culture. The creator, George Herriman, was a genius of design and language whose work drew heavily from the influences of his native New Orleans and his adopted home of Monument Valley, Arizona. Lots of fun.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted